2020 hd

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
I love the outside look. Now I just want to see all the amenities on the inside. Feel like GM fell behind considering that my 2005 LT had rear climate Vents And And a radio for the people in the back with headphone plug-ins. And my 2016 has none of that and is an LTZ. Even the Denali’s didn’t have anything.

Here’s some good inside info. They really brought (back) some good stuff to the table. https://youtu.be/Qwr09cmXQXg

cdbright

JUST RENT IT
Dec 16, 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
my uncle was at Dodge the other day and was looking at the new 1500 with the TESLA dash inside them, they told him the 2500 will ship in 3 weeks that have the same interior and those RAM boxes are sweet. I will not buy one, but he will so i can test the sh!t out of it :woott::woott::woott:

And hopefully chain it to my bumper !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Why dafuq do they need to make the grilles so big? The classic or even the last lml’s or l5p’s with the exception of the ‘05 had no issues. I can’t believe there is that much extra cooling needed requiring such a massive ugly thing in the front. Looks like a med duty pos.

beach_33

Feb 18, 2008
des moines, IA
It does seem excessive. I mean they could’ve added one in the back seat for that. They are finally heated after all!!!! And 3 more inches of leg room now

chrisuns

Sep 11, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Holy hell... They're putting an auto transfercase in there!?! I'm going to guess it's a heavy duty version of the magna 3023/3024 cases? Hmm, that's enticing!

Hambone

Always learning
Jan 24, 2016
Florida
The engine compartment is probably stuffed now and looks similar to a ford... try changing a belt!
Break a mirror off and I bet it sets you back $1k
All in all if I had the 75k it’s going to take to buy one I definitely would but I think I’ll still wait till this market flips and pick up one for half that price:thumb:

Hoser

Jun 19, 2016
Farmington, MN
Why dafuq do they need to make the grilles so big? The classic or even the last lml’s or l5p’s with the exception of the ‘05 had no issues. I can’t believe there is that much extra cooling needed requiring such a massive ugly thing in the front. Looks like a med duty pos.

All the press materials basically say it’s for image, plain and simple. Guys want to feel like they have an HD truck, or interpreted, they have no man skills, drive the truck to the office and they want to try to impress people. It’s a joke, trucks aren’t built to be trucks and be usable anymore, they are built as status symbols and it’s getting ridiculous. I sat in a ‘19 1500 yesterday and I couldn’t believe how poor the visibility out of it was, these HDs are going to be even worse.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

they need the air flow. 90% of the climate out there, you probably could get away with less but in the SW, you need all the cooling stack you can get. The loads these trucks are rated too are no joke and trying to pull that same load out here in the heat will tax a cooling system fast. remember, we are talking HP that is 150hp over a LB7 at the crank. make any lb7,lly,lbz or lmm make 450 crank hp, tow 25-28k out here in the summer and still keep every fluid in check as well as egt's while you flat foot it up a grade is a hell of a challenge. ive seen healthy 100% stock LMM and LBZ trucks get hot pulling our grades and their cooling system was tip top. GM did alot of testing out here. every MFG did during the summer. 115* out side air temp with roads radiating 160* air into the front air dam makes cooling a bitch to do when you are using that air to cool it.

dmax_ty

Aug 18, 2011
Utah
they need the air flow. 90% of the climate out there, you probably could get away with less but in the SW, you need all the cooling stack you can get. The loads these trucks are rated too are no joke and trying to pull that same load out here in the heat will tax a cooling system fast. remember, we are talking HP that is 150hp over a LB7 at the crank. make any lb7,lly,lbz or lmm make 450 crank hp, tow 25-28k out here in the summer and still keep every fluid in check as well as egt's while you flat foot it up a grade is a hell of a challenge. ive seen healthy 100% stock LMM and LBZ trucks get hot pulling our grades and their cooling system was tip top. GM did alot of testing out here. every MFG did during the summer. 115* out side air temp with roads radiating 160* air into the front air dam makes cooling a bitch to do when you are using that air to cool it.

Great points, James. Does anyone know what the L5Ps run oil temp wise?

chrisuns

Sep 11, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Care to explain the difference between these and the current transfer cases?

The 02-19 use an electronically or manually selectable transfer case that changes the mode with a fork and collar to connect or disconnect together the front and rear axles via the chain.

If that transfer case is a beefed up version of the ones I'm thinking it is, it is probably a modified magna 3023/3024 active case the half ton silverado and 3/4 ton suburbans use. It connects the front and rear axles together via an actuator and clutch pack to engage the chain; with those you're able to bias the power sent to the front wheels and eliminate crows-hop/bind associated with turning while in 4x4.

Basically, they'll have it tied into the steering wheel position sensor, the stability control system, brake status, speed, wheel slip, wheel speed, throttle %, gear and probably a few other sensors to intelligently control how much pressure to apply to the clutch packs. It's a nifty system, and probably one of my favorite GM systems (so much so, I modified a half-ton system to work with my LBZ with 1000+ ft lbs and probably have 60k miles on that- and I love every bit of it!).

This will easily be my favor part of the truck if this is the case, and I bet it is robust as hell to survive with 910Ft Lbs, 30K+ towing and what I am betting is a low gear in 1st in that 10 speed (granted, it'll take data from tons of sensors to prevent user abuse and damage.)

Djreversal

Jul 14, 2011
lol i hate having a key dangling and jingling as im driving .. makes me want to turn into oncoming traffic.