2016 LML to tune and delete or not?

Rudy1

Jul 6, 2016
Illinois
I know this has been asked alot. I have 42,000miles
On my 2016 GMC Duramax. If there are any Mechanics familiar
with the LML please advise me your opinion.

Thanks

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I know this has been asked alot. I have 42,000miles

On my 2016 GMC Duramax. If there are any Mechanics familiar

with the LML please advise me your opinion.

Thanks

Only con is no more warranty.
I’m in the same boat same miles and that’s the only thing keeping mine stock.

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
I already have no warranty (truck has rebuilt title). Truck has 37,000 miles on it.

I'm running a FASS 150, still on the fence about swapping out the CP4 for a 3.

A good friend is on the team that does warranty investigation for the Duramax platform. He says the majority of failures also had water or gasoline in the fuel. He says the issue is blown out of proportion.

I absolutely plan to delete mine, I'm getting occasional codes about my def tank heater.

I plan to install a new passenger side LB7 federal emissions up pipe / larger downpipe / cold air intake (already have a L5P hood) and a 4" exhaust.

Downpipe and intake are strictly based on what Idaho Rob found when tuning his stock emissions LML. He saw big gains from those two modifications.

wade_660

Jun 7, 2015
I’ve heard of several cp4s going out that have a lift pump on them. I think you either get a good one or a bad one, but I’m sure water and gas would be a big contributor too. I’m not convinced that a lift pump helps prolong the life of the cp4. This coming from a guy that’s running a Fass on my LML. I tuned mine at around 10k miles and haven’t regretted it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cdbright

JUST RENT IT
Dec 16, 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
i just rolled 40K on my LML and she is getting deleted shortly. I need that loud sound. Got 5" straight sitting on my shop floor and just need the down pipe to show up and she is getting it:woott::woott:

kiwilml

Nov 4, 2015
I just got a 16 lml with 21k about 3 weeks ago.. A week later it was tuned and deleted with a 5" straight and I love it! I wouldn't worry about anything really, just get fuel from high volume places.. My deal is if something goes wrong I want to replace with aftermarket bigger /better stuff anyway..

DU102

Nov 8, 2016
Deleted mine almost new, now have
102,000 absolutely the best thing I have done to my 2015 Denali duramax, not one problem, but I don't drive it hard, a fass 150 pump is a must if you going to run 150-200 HP setting, I have PPEI tuning with the tranny tunes

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

cdbright

JUST RENT IT
Dec 16, 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
102,000 absolutely the best thing I have done to my 2015 Denali duramax, not one problem, but I don't drive it hard, a fass 150 pump is a must if you going to run 150-200 HP setting, I have PPEI tuning with the tranny tunes

how is your drone sound with the 5"? i have been told it is brutal around 1500 rpm , i am still doing it either way, just curious hahahaha:woott:

DU102

Nov 8, 2016
how is your drone sound with the 5"? i have been told it is brutal around 1500 rpm , i am still doing it either way, just curious hahahaha:woott:
I have a 4" straight pipe with a 3' down pipe, no drone, just good bit of turbo back whistle

snowman22

Jan 30, 2018
SoCal
I deleted mine about 10k miles ago and wish I would have done it day one. The frequent regens, DEF, and constantly worrying about starting a fire (I drive in tall brush constantly) pushed me to do it.

I had a drone while towing or pulling a long hill and installed an FTE resonator and all is well. It did quiet down the exhaust significantly, but I wasn't after a loud note.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I would do a cp3 swap. The cp4 while it doesn't granade on everyone if it does it can take out the injectors. This may require replacing hard lines, rails, etc

It could get expensive fast. And for me I like the peace of mind knowing that the cp3 almost never takes out anything else if it fails.

Also, they do fail just as regularly with water/gas in them as they do without.

See these two threads here on the TDIClub

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=387252

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=299854

The cp4 has no real means of preventing the roller from twisting in the bore. This is one of the main failure points

I had the cp4 fail on my 09 TDI and I know for a fact it didn't have gas or water in it. If you read the thread listed above you will see many claim the same

Just something to think about

Also, if it was me I would do emissions intact tuning

Columbus450

Aug 24, 2017
Louisiana
I have a 4" straight pipe with a 3' down pipe, no drone, just good bit of turbo back whistle

Same here I have a 4 inch with a 3 inch downpipe very little drone and lots of whistle and gives off a nice growl real throaty,I’ve contemplated the 5 inch but after hearing sound clips 4 inch sounds better in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rudy1

Jul 6, 2016
Illinois
Only con is no more warranty.
I’m in the same boat same miles and that’s the only thing keeping mine stock.
I hear ya. That’s what’s stopping me too.I would like to put a lift pump on. But I guess that will void warranty too!

Rudy1

Jul 6, 2016
Illinois

Sounds Cool. I so would like to do the same. One these days I’m just gonna say screw it and Getter Done

Rudy1

Jul 6, 2016
Illinois
Thanks

I appreciate every opinion and knowledge I can get. It goes a long way on making a decision.:thumb: