2012 Diesel Power Challange

Colt

Jul 23, 2010
Look how much Casper's speed record on the salt pissed off Ford!!! Pat put that all in from his pocket and whatever but it was not that huge company like Ford support. I loved the RAH_RAH in DP magazine for Ford's new Scorpion. Not to be insulting to Ford their new engine needed to be done and sell a good truck instead of those boat anchor INT. mills. I still love to read how Casper did it finally after the fixes what a story about guys with desire to go fast even without big bucks behind them all the way thru. Casper was still first in respective diesel catagory before Ford though I think so let it ride and you can believe Casper will return out there and fly again.

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
Stock trucks dont sell magazines. ;)

Either do race/pulling trucks, seems like they always have lifted trucks on 22s with stock motors getting the spreads.

The dpc is always sweet to read about, seems most guys are so extreme, a dependable 900hp truck could really kill. But then again, its hard to get dependabilty in some of them tests. The trailer tow drag race is hard on parts.

BIG PHIL

32 valve
Aug 24, 2011
Weatherford Texas
I look forward to reading the DPC every year. I do think there should be some money involved and maybe even make it a public event and charge admission for the prize money. I would like to see it in person.

THEREDDEVIL

A Bad seed
Jul 28, 2010
Godfrey, il
I look forward to reading the DPC every year. I do think there should be some money involved and maybe even make it a public event and charge admission for the prize money. I would like to see it in person.

Agreed! I would like to see it. I would like to participate but no way in hell will I ever b able to afford the spare parts these guys bring along. It's insane! I would like to do the hot rod drag week also. Just to show what a diesel can do

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Either do race/pulling trucks, seems like they always have lifted trucks on 22s with stock motors getting the spreads.

I knew it would turn into that years ago. Its one of the reasons I ignore DPMag unless someone I know is in it. Their "Challenge" hasnt been realistic since Year 3.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Any of you guys remember a hill climb compitition that use to take place? I cant remember which mag covered it but it was one mile, I think 6% grade 10k trailer from a dead stop. They measured speed at the top. It was back when a 500 HP dmax was considered rare.

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
Any of you guys remember a hill climb compitition that use to take place? I cant remember which mag covered it but it was one mile, I think 6% grade 10k trailer from a dead stop. They measured speed at the top. It was back when a 500 HP dmax was considered rare.

Didnt Kennedy put that on? Ken (Subman) competed way back in the day with one of the first set of twins.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I think that was started by the Diesel Page, wasnt it? John was very active with it.

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
I think that was started by the Diesel Page, wasnt it? John was very active with it.

Yeah thats right... thats when everyone ran n20 and propane :rofl:
Then you werent respected if you ran n20
Now its ok again... ooooh the bandwagons :D

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I remember a pick of a dmax launching with the trailer and the wheels toeing in big time. They comented in the article that it was common with the gm trucks but didn't seem to be a problem.

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV

That was put on by the Diesel Page and ran from 99 through 06. I did that with my 02 GMC a couple of years back in 2005 and 2006. Raced up highway 93 up the Lost Trail Pass. Started at about 5,000 ft on a 6.5% grade and pulled a 10,000 lb trailer for a mile for best time. The last year the race was done a full mile was 2005. Three fastest trucks were dmax's. John Kennedy come out and ran it at least 4 years. Time keeping wasn't very official, usually just a stop watch with someone riding with you. I timed John in 05. I asked him what his egt's got to and he said he didn't look, I did and it pegged the 2000 degree gauge. Ran the thing in mid July temp both years I ran it was mid 80's. Launch was tricky. Last year I ran it we only raced to 0-60 do to the State Troopers getting wind of these crazy guys pulling a heavy trailer up the pass at 80 miles an hour. We were stacking tuners and running propane and water/meth, no wonder I bent all the rods in that truck.

http://www.thedieselpage.com/features/pulloff2005.htm

http://www.thedieselpage.com/features/pulloff2006c.htm

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Thanks Ken, Just think if this was done today there would be allot of carnage. The HP numbers those guys were pushing back then are easy to surpass now. They were fighting for every horse power they gained back then. Now a simple phone call and some cash and your at 1000 HP.

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
That is true, best that truck ever dynoed was 540 and best 1/4 mile was 12.09 @ 111.71 in Spokane. Track times suggest it was in the low to mid 600's but I could never get it to dyno that nor really build much boost on a dyno.

No one ever blew an engine but there were a couple of dodges that broke input shafts. Had they let us go the mile in 2006 I know I could have hit close to 100mph, that is when I realized how great the twins were for towing. Even with the TTS extreme on stun my egt's stayed below 1600. John used NOS for the 0-60 runs in 06 best he did on #2 was 20 seconds. I always thought I got a bad time from Bagley, my gps hit 60mph a good 2 seconds before he said his did. I was also a little ticked that he let Kennedy run the evening before when it was cool. He wasn't and didn't run again unless I beat his time. I was sicker than a dog and drove straight through from Medford Oregon to Montana and made it there about 10 am the day we were suppose to be racing. Jim went to great lengths in his write up to explain how the race was timed. I know he did that after I told him I thought he was pretty slow on his stop watch. Whatever.. pissed me off at the time but it's all water under the bridge now.

I doubt very many of the trucks who compete in the DPC now could do that and not blow an engine unless they turned the power way down. I entered White Out in the DPC in 2010 but withdrew when I found out where it was being held. Too damn far to go. Doesn't interest me at all now. The one time I went with Rob it seemed like the rules changed as the events went along. One of the trucks had a different driver on the dyno than the rest of the competition and another event was held up waiting for a truck to get fixed. That is not fair to the trucks that are ready and comply with the rules.

moss

<--good vibrations
Dec 15, 2008
sandwich, il
one thing that cheesed me off when i did the dpc...there was a dodge competitor running the quarter mile all day long. it was tomac first, then me. the dodge was a ways back and was slowly getting faster. well, there was a ts race truck there. they were taking n2o parts off that truck to help the competitor go faster. took all day and on his last pass he ended up tying me in the 1/4. water under the bridge now, but i still dislike that competitor for other stuff there after

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
The one time I went with Rob it seemed like the rules changed as the events went along. One of the trucks had a different driver on the dyno than the rest of the competition and another event was held up waiting for that same truck to get fixed. That is not fair to the trucks that are ready and comply with the rules.
Fixed it for you, Ken.