LML 2012 4x4 issue/question

Camaroz2866

Feb 4, 2012
Have a 2012 Denali hd and when I put it in 4x4 and drive it clunks and feels like its dragging or hung up...

Any input?
2,000 miles on it... Taking it to the dealer on Monday
Thanks in advance

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
Drain and change the oil. When I changed the oil in my 04 it made a big difference. Also overfill by about 1qt.

Does you truck have the auto engage 4x4? If not, use 30w motor oil or ATF in it. The Friction stuff is for the trucks that have the Auto Engage 4x4 since it uses clutches to do the auto engage.

Hopefully Mike can make a suggestion. If not, give him a call on monday.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Drain and change the oil. When I changed the oil in my 04 it made a big difference. Also overfill by about 1qt.

Does you truck have the auto engage 4x4? If not, use 30w motor oil or ATF in it. The Friction stuff is for the trucks that have the Auto Engage 4x4 since it uses clutches to do the auto engage.

Hopefully Mike can make a suggestion. If not, give him a call on monday.

none of the HD trucks have the "auto-trac" transfer case. Half-ton only.

Camaroz2866

Feb 4, 2012
They are trying to tell me the 4x4 noise is normal. Tomorrow we are going on a test drive in another 2500 hd....

Trevor79

Feb 20, 2012
On wet grass, any slick you could here a clunk. Problem with the electronic shift transfer case is that it waits for movement of the drive line till it engages. When there is moving gears it engages easier. with the toqure of the duramax it will spin the wheels when slick and that causes backlash, that goes clunk. I've had it in slick areas a lot. Sometimes I stick her in neutral and shift to 4h or back to 2h. I can hear mine disengaging also. They bind up. I hope I explained good enough, been awake a long time. Not saying I like it, get it checked out. But don't loose sleep over it. Apply brake in slick areas, let of slow, easy on skinny pedal till you know it's engaged.

Camaroz2866

Feb 4, 2012
Yeah I learned that now but the issue is going 40 mph give or take in 4hi let off gas and you hear and wheel bearing type noise

Camaroz2866

Feb 4, 2012
I talked to a master tech their. The noise is the trans braking. Another brand new Dupli of my truck makes same noise.

2011lml

Jan 24, 2015
4x4 issues

I also have a 2011 duramax with the same issues. When I put it in 4 hi and let off you can here a ticking sound, until you step on the gas again. I'm just not sold on the fact whether or not this is normal. Dealer just changed gears in my front diff thinking it was that but it didn't change anything. Any ideas?

JD Dave

In way over my head
May 19, 2008
Caledon, Ontario
My 2015 is making a bad noise when I let off at highway speeds in 4wd also. Never noticed this with any other trucks. It's bad enough that I think the dealer should check it out.