2011 & up lug pattern upgrade

Dashman

Oct 11, 2009
Does anyone have any experience with upgrading to the newer 8x180 wheel lug pattern? I've noticed a few people selling their original wheels for affordable prices, and I like the narrow wheel width compared to aftermarket. I've had to replace front wheel hub bearings before, and makes me think that the newer style hub might work. For the rear, it may just be a matter of swapping axles. Does anyone have details about the hubs and axles? Thanks!

My truck is an '05 Silverado 3500 SRW.

Dashman

Oct 11, 2009
To partially answer my own question, the front hubs have a different mounting bolt pattern. My '05 uses a Timken SP580310, and the '11 uses SP620302. Looks like my 4 bolt pattern is square, and the '11 has a 4 bolt trapezoid pattern. I haven't researched the rear axle situation yet. It does seam to be more complicated than even I want to embark on. The trouble with aftermarket wheels is that it's hard to find many options in narrower widths. Currently, I have 275s on 17x9s, and they rub during sharp turns. I turned torsion bars, realigned, and trimmed the front valence panel. I tow goosenecks, so lifting is not an option. I also drive on snow occasionally, and wider tires reduces the contact pressure and can induce sliding. I'd really like an 18x8 or 18x7.5. I'm not even going to consider adapters.

Dashman

Oct 11, 2009
I was thinking the same thing, then I started thinking whether the diameter and splines of the CV axles match. I could find out by comparing the splines on the bearings. Then say the they don't match, will the bolt pattern of the CV axle to the flange of the differential match? By that point, it has become very expensive. Of course, the only component that doesn't wear out and need replacement would be the knuckles. I still haven't found out anything about the rear axle. Supposedly, the strength increase came from the front, and the rear was changed to match.