2011 mileage question

Philc1

Aug 28, 2017
Hello all! I am a new Duramax owner, Just picked up a 2011, 3500 Crew Cab Dually with 156xxx mi. I wasn't looking to buy a truck this large but it was a deal that needed to be taken. I did have a local diesel shop check everything out and it all looks good, there are no mods or deletes. So far I have put 1 tank of fuel through it and mileage (mixed hwy and city)was a little over 14.
So heres my questions, is that about what I should expect? Can I get better? Should I be using a fuel additive? What about differences between pure fuel and Biofuel?
I know theses are new guy questions but the only diesel I have ever owned was a mid eighties ford that never saw any road time, Just a really beat up old thing that was used for wood hauling and other crap on the farm.

Novak

SQUIRREL TRYN TO GET A NUT
Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
Hello all! I am a new Duramax owner, Just picked up a 2011, 3500 Crew Cab Dually with 156xxx mi. I wasn't looking to buy a truck this large but it was a deal that needed to be taken. I did have a local diesel shop check everything out and it all looks good, there are no mods or deletes. So far I have put 1 tank of fuel through it and mileage (mixed hwy and city)was a little over 14.
So heres my questions, is that about what I should expect? Can I get better? Should I be using a fuel additive? What about differences between pure fuel and Biofuel?
I know theses are new guy questions but the only diesel I have ever owned was a mid eighties ford that never saw any road time, Just a really beat up old thing that was used for wood hauling and other crap on the farm.

A bone stock truck is gonna get those numbers. The EPA made it to where the engine is working against itself to produce lower emissions. There is light at the end of the tunnel though, if you hit a bump hard enough your exhaust and emissions equipment will fall off and you'll have improved economy, throttle response and engine oil life.
My LMM is 20ish on the highway with my bed topper on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Novak, you didnt put the little ;) after that. "Hit a bump hard enough" -- Thats priceless. :rofl:

Columbus450

Aug 24, 2017
Louisiana
The link AZ posted is a helpful link that's a good place to start to start gaining MPGs.
It takes work and$$$ but in the end it will pay for it self

Philc1

Aug 28, 2017
Been reading what AZ posted. good info, its the kind of stuff im looking for. hard to filter through the cr@p sometimes.

AZlml

Jun 5, 2016
Goodyear, AZ
Rob with ATP is very reputable as well. Following his recommendations in that link is your best bet if this is your first diesel. As far as filtering through all the crap we post that's just part of the fun on this forum :thumb:

Novak

Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
You have your answer.
You're emissions equipment is what's holding your numbers down.

Novak

Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
No, it's the stock tuning.

In the end yes.

OP you could always check out Idaho Rob and get some tunes from him. I'm pretty sure he has tunes that keep your emissions equipment intact but also improve the truck all around.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
...and yet nobody says anything about it being an 8000lb+ CC dually......

Just what does someone expect for mileage?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
My CC dually gets about 13 to 14 in town and 18 to 20 on the highway unloaded.

Mine hit the big bump you guys are referring to, but i also have larger tires and 4:56 gearing so i would think 14 mpg is about normal for you