2011 lml questions (help please)

Pipefitter198

Mar 30, 2013
Louisiana
I bought a used 2011 Duramax today with 73,000 miles on it, drove home from dealership, (350 miles) parked it and later got in and drive 4 miles down the road and the check engine light came on, the dealership is saying its prob the particulate filter clogged up, but I just drove 6 hours at 70 + mph, shouldn't it have cleaned the filter???, any thoughts on why the check engine light came on???, also can I do a DPF delete on this truck to do away with all that stuff??? if so what tuner options do I have?, does EFI LIVE have the programs for this???

Thanks to any info on this I've owned 3 other duramax's 07 and older and never any issues, this one is already giving me problems.

2006 LBZ

Feb 8, 2011
Calgary, Ab.
I bought a used 2011 Duramax today with 73,000 miles on it, drove home from dealership, (350 miles) parked it and later got in and drive 4 miles down the road and the check engine light came on, the dealership is saying its prob the particulate filter clogged up, but I just drove 6 hours at 70 + mph, shouldn't it have cleaned the filter???, any thoughts on why the check engine light came on???, also can I do a DPF delete on this truck to do away with all that stuff??? if so what tuner options do I have?, does EFI LIVE have the programs for this???

Thanks to any info on this I've owned 3 other duramax's 07 and older and never any issues, this one is already giving me problems.

Any messages coming on in the cluster other than the engine light? More than likely is something with either the DPF or Exhaust fluid but would have to scan it to say for sure, look for a old H&S mini max or xrt pro if you want to delete that stuff, outside of that the tuning isn`t readily available yet from my understanding. Brace yourself for some reduced power messages in the future.

Texas Chevy

Feb 14, 2011
Vista, Ca
I deleted all emissions using H&S but now they no longer sell a tuner that will do deletes. You can probably find one and just do the unlock code. EFI won't tune LML yet.

Pipefitter198

Mar 30, 2013
Louisiana
So today I decided to just drive it, and I turned it off while visiting family, got back in it and the check engine light wasn't on anymore, so I'm assuming it went thru the regen process???, shouldn't it show a message letting you know when it does that???, and no there were no other symbols or messages in the cluster, and whatcha mean reduced power messages???, why does it do that?, and they have a few h&s on eBay but very expensive, probably worth it tho, thanks guys

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
You need to have the DTCs read out. There's absolutely no way to know why it came on without pulling codes. There are no messages for when the truck goes into regen, but there are messages when there is a DPF or SCR/DEF problem.

Pipefitter198

Mar 30, 2013
Louisiana
I'm going to the Chevy place tomorrow, to have the remote start button programmed to my truck I'll ask my buddy there (the service manager) to read DTC's for me, if he can without the check engine light on now, I'm DEF, gonna see if I can find a used H&S to delete the DPF, EGR, and the Fuel Additive, and add the Exhaust and Cold Air, I DO NOT want to deal with all that emissions crap, I will say that I've owned 3 Duramax's in the past, an 03, 06, and 07, and I ran BullyDog GT tuner, S&B cold air, and 4" turbo back exhaust (with down pipe, on all 3, and this 2011 feels like it's got almost as much power stock as those trucks had with the extras!!!???, it may just be me but its pretty peppy as is, I can't help but think that after deleting those things and adding the power adders that it'll be a pretty mean truck, thoughts???

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I'm going to the Chevy place tomorrow, to have the remote start button programmed to my truck I'll ask my buddy there (the service manager) to read DTC's for me, if he can without the check engine light on now, I'm DEF, gonna see if I can find a used H&S to delete the DPF, EGR, and the Fuel Additive, and add the Exhaust and Cold Air, I DO NOT want to deal with all that emissions crap, I will say that I've owned 3 Duramax's in the past, an 03, 06, and 07, and I ran BullyDog GT tuner, S&B cold air, and 4" turbo back exhaust (with down pipe, on all 3, and this 2011 feels like it's got almost as much power stock as those trucks had with the extras!!!???, it may just be me but its pretty peppy as is, I can't help but think that after deleting those things and adding the power adders that it'll be a pretty mean truck, thoughts???

Don't do anything to it if you want to keep your warranty without worrying if you still have it or not.

2006 LBZ

Feb 8, 2011
Calgary, Ab.
Isn't the powertrain covered for 100,000 miles still? I know they started doing that in '07. I assume it is still the same.

Correct, with the way its described its more than likely a reductant fluid quality DTC but still has to be scanned like you said. I`ve sat there and burned off a 1/4 tank or more of fuel doing reductant fluid quality test`s before, truck will rev to 2500rpm for over a hour sometimes before it will complete a test. Just ridiculous what they have been forced to do to these trucks from the EPA

Pipefitter198

Mar 30, 2013
Louisiana
Yea only have 26,000+, miles left on power train, so not all that worried about it honestly, the code was the Knock sensor, something to do with the urea additive, I talked to my buddy that's the service manager, he said they rarely ever have any issues with the dpf but the fuel additive stuff has had several issues with the pumps and such, also I have a Bully Dog GT tuner for an 01-07 duramax, it's update able to 2013, for sale if anyone's interested, um the light went off, still gonna delete the dpf egr and urea oil, and put cold air and exhaust, just don't want all those issues