2008 LMM Duramax 4x4 MPG Increase suggestions

cmjensen86

Oct 25, 2011
Clovis, CA "fresno"
First I live in CALIFORNIA and deleting the DPF is not an option at this time. I have a Diablosport predator tuner. It has added 1-3 MPG. I have a K&N intake as well. The truck is stock other wise. It is a extended cab regular bed 6 1/2 bed. I do tow a GN horse trailer as well as bumper pull trailer time to time.

I am looking for other ways to increase my MPG. I am not sure what the next best thing to upgrade is. Remember I have to pass smog/emissions test.

ANY and ALL suggestions appreciated thanks.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Ya know, there is one thing fer sure that will gain you some economy, and thats power, oddly enough. The more hp you can efficiently develop, the less of the totlal power generated you will need to use to do the same ammount of work.

That being said, to gain power, you need to let the engine to breathe more efficiently(intake and exhaust, mbrp makes an exhaust with a servicable dpf) tires play a huge part in economy, if economy is truly what you are after dont go any wider than 285 and buy a highway treaded tire, no mudders or even all terrains. Your predator tune is cool, but you may be able to squeeze 1 or 2 more mpg from an efi live tune(no guarantees) and efi live tow tunes usually have a killer turbine brake built into the tune. An air dog or equivalent lift pump/ dual filter woild be a nice investment to protect your fuel system(most importantly your injectors) i dont think you will get any mpg out of installing it though. Hope this helps.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Actually, your 08 doesn't need the intake so bad, it flows pretty well from the factory, and a trans go jr shift kit may help a tiny bit, but it sure makes the shifts alot better!!! The trans go is a must imo.

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
If you don't find wrenching a tiny bit you could replace your exhaust and delete the cat and DPF, then throw the stock back on once every 2 years for smog. You can pick up a complete system for like 300 bucks. It only takes a couple of hours to change it out and probably would help add the most MPG over anything else,

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Agreed, an exhaust should only take half an hour to an hour for each step(removal, install) still not too fun.
If i could start over again, I would just get the banks big hoss, trans go jr and the banks triple disc converter, for my tow rig. It would have been way cheaper, and its a complete system engineered to work together.
Banks power makes a sweet package for guys like you, looking for a safe efficient bump in power and sound and some economy. It costs some coin, but you cant do it cheaper, and attain the same results. Check out the big hoss bundle, it is C.A.R.B approved, you wont be disappointed with it i promise.

cmjensen86

Oct 25, 2011
Clovis, CA "fresno"
Agreed, an exhaust should only take half an hour to an hour for each step(removal, install) still not too fun.
If i could start over again, I would just get the banks big hoss, trans go jr and the banks triple disc converter, for my tow rig. It would have been way cheaper, and its a complete system engineered to work together.
Banks power makes a sweet package for guys like you, looking for a safe efficient bump in power and sound and some economy. It costs some coin, but you cant do it cheaper, and attain the same results. Check out the big hoss bundle, it is C.A.R.B approved, you wont be disappointed with it i promise.

Thanks for the great advice. Do you have any recommendations for which site to order from?

I found the below. Is that what you were referring to exactly? The duel exaust sounds interesting or is it over kill?

http://performancetruckproducts.com...-exhaust-07-5-10-gm-6-6l-lmm-ec-sb-cc-lb.html

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Yes! Thats the one! There are some things that may not be included in the kit, like a thermal coupler for egt gauge, the triple disc converter is not included fer sure...idk what else, so some research before you buy it, call banks directly! Get info from the horses mouth. I personally would go with the cool duals, for the exhaust, reason- stereo sound, and its way quieter pulling a trailer up a hill.

Ryan T

Sep 5, 2010
CA
i would do efi live, trans go jr. and delete the dpf .. way cheaper than banks, and u will get more out of it. like what was said above, it only takes a couple hours to swap exhaust if u dont mind wrenching

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
What about all the air flow enhancements the big hoss offers, intake, intercooler plumbing, intercooler, dual exhaust, banks iq display/monitor/gps... the banks system offers more per buck in the end than an efi live and dpf delete, possibly the same power, possibly(for a stock trans efi tune) yet the big hoss comes with the banks iq, my pillar pod and gauges cost as much as the iq, and the iq is way cooler, dont get me wrong, for my application and me, a custom efi live, built trans, and a list of parts a mile long is what was "needed" to attain what i was looking for, now that i have attained 600+ hp i realize a big hoss bundle and a few other choice parts would have been just enough, and alot cheaper.

Ryan T

Sep 5, 2010
CA
What about all the air flow enhancements the big hoss offers, intake, intercooler plumbing, intercooler, dual exhaust, banks iq display/monitor/gps... the banks system offers more per buck in the end than an efi live and dpf delete, possibly the same power, possibly(for a stock trans efi tune) yet the big hoss comes with the banks iq, my pillar pod and gauges cost as much as the iq, and the iq is way cooler, dont get me wrong, for my application and me, a custom efi live, built trans, and a list of parts a mile long is what was "needed" to attain what i was looking for, now that i have attained 600+ hp i realize a big hoss bundle and a few other choice parts would have been just enough, and alot cheaper.

coco puffs, do u really think ur truck makes 600+ hp??

Last edited:

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
The Banks stuff would work fine, but it's still a huge waste of money. You don't need all that crap to get better MPG and you'll never make up the money spent in fuel savings. Listen to Ryan, he's completely correct. Best bang for your buck is replacing the exhaust with something cheap and going with EFI Live and a Trango Jr. Hell you could probably be out the door for 800 dollars shipped!

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Yes Ryan, my truck will have well over 600 when it gets back, it was runin586hp before it went in, its getting 45% tips and a billet 4094. Pretty sure 600hp is behind me now. As for banks being a waste of money, ha, is all i have to say, banks products are proven winners, time and time again, over and over. Choosing to just do efi live and a dpf delete sounds like a road to disaster to me, no gauges? No safegaurds? Just trust huh?

To the op- your truck is expensive to begin with, to "best" the banks system will cost you well over what it costs to buy the banks stuff, and there is not a better warranty or gaurantee of craftsmanship or performance, like banks either. One thing is for sure, if you buy banks it will work flawlessly, with out headache. Use your best judgement man, you tow alot it sounds like, the banks system was designed from the ground up for that specific purpose.
EFI LIVE IS BETTER!!!! But to put together the same set up that banks offers with efi live, and seperate gauges, and intercooler and plumbing etc would cost more.

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
Yes Ryan, my truck will have well over 600 when it gets back, it was runin586hp before it went in, its getting 45% tips and a billet 4094. Pretty sure 600hp is behind me now. As for banks being a waste of money, ha, is all i have to say, banks products are proven winners, time and time again, over and over. Choosing to just do efi live and a dpf delete sounds like a road to disaster to me, no gauges? No safegaurds? Just trust huh?

To the op- your truck is expensive to begin with, to "best" the banks system will cost you well over what it costs to buy the banks stuff, and there is not a better warranty or gaurantee of craftsmanship or performance, like banks either. One thing is for sure, if you buy banks it will work flawlessly, with out headache. Use your best judgement man, you tow alot it sounds like, the banks system was designed from the ground up for that specific purpose.
EFI LIVE IS BETTER!!!! But to put together the same set up that banks offers with efi live, and seperate gauges, and intercooler and plumbing etc would cost more.

First of all what has Banks won time and time again with the stuff they sell in their kits? Second, if you have the truck tuned by one of the very competent tuners(Nick, Tony, Rob, and so on) and keep the truck stock and tuned for MPG you don't need gauges and "safeguards" that you get with Banks stuff. Now if the OP started by saying how can I get 600 hp out of my truck then I would say the exact opposite. Banks quality is very good, but it's not worth the price for what the op appears to be looking for.

Ryan T

Sep 5, 2010
CA

cool cant wait to see the dyno #s...maybe u should run the banks stuff coco, u really seem to be sold on it..

Last edited:

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Dude, you dont know anything about banks products, the duramax sidewinder uses a whole bunch of parts that are used in banks kits....proven winner...how about a decade tuning on dmaxes and i have not heard(not yet) anyone taco a engine or trans ot turbo running banks equipment...proven winner...
It seems to me the op wanted mpgs, there was no mention of price point, i could tell anyone to buy a banks set up with confidence, and know that if my advise were followed banks would come through for power and economy gains, and i know my advise would not cause harm. Trying to explain efi live who to buy it from, the potential it holds, the possible upgrades that should be done and why is not as easy to explain or understand, and then you are piecing a system together to achieve what banks has already, that in itself is worth a few bucks. Agian efi live and a well thought out build will best banks products, but for simple and solid results i still like banks.... im entitled to my opinion as are all of you

Ryan T

Sep 5, 2010
CA
Dude, you dont know anything about banks products, the duramax sidewinder uses a whole bunch of parts that are used in banks kits....proven winner...how about a decade tuning on dmaxes and i have not heard(not yet) anyone taco a engine or trans ot turbo running banks equipment...proven winner...
It seems to me the op wanted mpgs, there was no mention of price point, i could tell anyone to buy a banks set up with confidence, and know that if my advise were followed banks would come through for power and economy gains, and i know my advise would not cause harm. Trying to explain efi live who to buy it from, the potential it holds, the possible upgrades that should be done and why is not as easy to explain or understand, and then you are piecing a system together to achieve what banks has already, that in itself is worth a few bucks. Agian efi live and a well thought out build will best banks products, but for simple and solid results i still like banks.... im entitled to my opinion as are all of you

im not as experienced as u obviously coco... but i have owned a banks big hoss bundle.. i bought it when i didnt know sh!t about diesels.. its not a good product IMO ... not that it matters but i sell diesel parts,my truck has never been to a shop for engine work(only the trans ,thanx mike L) and i own a napa auto parts, so i am familiar with their product... there are also plenty of very good tuners who are vendors here that will offer very good customer service , better than u will ever get from banks!

Last edited:

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca

You've figured me out, I don't anything upgrading a Duramax. Now please explain to all of us uneducated people what Banks used on the Sidewinder that come in their kits? Who ask's about getting better MPG and doesn't care what it costs to achieve it, don't you think bang for the buck is kinda part of trying to achieve better MPG? What is there to explain about EFI Live to someone new, go and get a tune from a well known tuner. You don't need to buy EFI Live, hell you don't even need to know what it is. Finally, yes you are entitled to your opinion, however when you're providing advise to others you're opening yourself up to be disagreed with.