2007 LMM over heating

Pine

Oct 15, 2015
Jones County, MS
My 07 LMM wants to run hot/ over heat. It is most common when I am pulling a load, (42' fifth wheel, 26' boat, or even my side by side) in hilly terrain, and sometimes when I just run the hell out of it. I have the usual base upgrades. Tuned, exhaust, intake, egr and dpf delete. What can I do to help keep my 300+K mile engine running cooler??

Pine

Oct 15, 2015
Jones County, MS
Clean the radiator

Just clean the fins, wash the bugs, dirt, and debris out, or flush it out?? I'll most likely do both but, just wonderin. I'll definitely look into the fan clutch. And what about inner coolers and oil coolers and all that?? Would any of that help if these don't so much?? And Would Methanol injection help or hurt??

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Just clean the fins, wash the bugs, dirt, and debris out, or flush it out?? I'll most likely do both but, just wonderin. I'll definitely look into the fan clutch. And what about inner coolers and oil coolers and all that?? Would any of that help if these don't so much?? And Would Methanol injection help or hurt??

Pull the whole stack clean the air side... Radiator is usually the one the clogs up with bugs dirt and debris

Al's max

Jul 29, 2014
Texas
Like others have mentioned, remove the intercooler and radiator together then split the two and use a coil cleaner to clean each piece. Your a/c will work much better too.

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Nosir, I don't have a pyrometer. And thank y'all I will definitely give the radiator a thorough cleaning. But I don't know how or where to check for boost leaks...

Check the condition of all boots and clamps at least, and the plastic couplers(if lbz or lmm). I asked about a pyro because if your towing at too high of a power level, it will show on your pyrometer. Extended pulls loaded at too high power level can make it get hot.

Pine

Oct 15, 2015
Jones County, MS
Check the condition of all boots and clamps at least, and the plastic couplers(if lbz or lmm). I asked about a pyro because if your towing at too high of a power level, it will show on your pyrometer. Extended pulls loaded at too high power level can make it get hot.

Alright, that makes sense. I'll look into that too..

elliottw

Jan 23, 2013
ND
Another thing to look at is your fab fours front bumper, I've had oilfield service trucks come in saying they overheat with low miles, the kind that don't have miles or years of stuff caked up in there. Lots of times its right after they put a big bumper up front, not saying it's your issue but something to look at.

Also a 6in lift on 35s doesn't help.

Also put in some new thermostats if you've never done it and flush your coolant with that many miles.

Pine

Oct 15, 2015
Jones County, MS
Another thing to look at is your fab fours front bumper, I've had oilfield service trucks come in saying they overheat with low miles, the kind that don't have miles or years of stuff caked up in there. Lots of times its right after they put a big bumper up front, not saying it's your issue but something to look at.

Also a 6in lift on 35s doesn't help.

Also put in some new thermostats if you've never done it and flush your coolant with that many miles.

It would do it before the bumpers, and it's only occasionally. Yeah the lift and tires don't make it more efficient for anything more than Offroad. But I'm a Pipeliner so I drive Offroad ALOT more than the average person... I'll change the thermostats too for sure.

Pine

Oct 15, 2015
Jones County, MS
What kinda temps are we seeing? No numbers so we are taking shots in the dark...

When it overheats pulling my camper it's damn near pegged all the way on my dash gauge. I don't have a pyrometer or any extra gauges or screens... I try to stick with the KISS method... Ha but I would definitely accept any and all recommendations. I really appreciate y'all.

chevor

Highway hauler.
Sep 17, 2015
On the Road
I didn't pull intercooler and a/c coil. Had rad removed from rear and cleaned out. Got to intercooler from rear while radiator was removed.

Made a huge difference.:thumb:

Pine

Oct 15, 2015
Jones County, MS
Now my dang turbo is makin a funny sound but it's not throwing a code... My mechanic said to work on it we'd have to pull the cab just to get to it... WTH GM!?

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Now my dang turbo is makin a funny sound but it's not throwing a code... My mechanic said to work on it we'd have to pull the cab just to get to it... WTH GM!?
Find a new mechanic. This aint a FORD, you don't have to pull the cab to get to the turbo. As to your funny sound, what kit did you use to delete the EGR? A few peopel have had the EGR tube crack from delete kits that don't support the up pipe very well and it allows the bellows to expand and crack making a funny turbo/exhaust sound.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Find a new mechanic. This aint a FORD, you don't have to pull the cab to get to the turbo. As to your funny sound, what kit did you use to delete the EGR? A few peopel have had the EGR tube crack from delete kits that don't support the up pipe very well and it allows the bellows to expand and crack making a funny turbo/exhaust sound.

Mine did it, thought my turbo was bad as well. As for pulling the cab as the Frem said, not needed. A good mechanic that knows this engine can swap turbos in 3 to 4 hours with removing minimal accessories...

X 2 on pulling and cleaning your stack...