2006 LLY vs LBZ info for all those wondering

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Okay guys so I found out my hopefully soon to be truck is an 06 LLY so naturally I searched here to find out what the differences in it and an lbz were. Found a whole lot of mumbo jumbo but nothing specific. Then googled and found a bunch of DP and DF guys bickering as usual but no facts. Called Lauren at LDS and here it is for anyone wondering like me

An 06 lly and an 06-07 lbz are identical. The 2006 lly uses lbz injectors. Pump and FPR. 6 speed trans. Everything. The only difference is it is detuned. So. You have 04.5-05 power levels on an LBZ engine. The engine itself is in fact an LBZ. So. If you’re ordering parts for a 2006 LLY order lbz parts. With the wxception of EFILive which uses your VIN anyways

Sorry if this has been beat to death before. Just wondered myself and found no definite answer so I got the answer and figured I’d post for everyone else wondering like I was

Hope y’all had a good 2nd Monday!:thumb:

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
There are other differences. :thumb:

Do enlighten me. I’m not being a smart ass I really want to know because I was told that’s it and if I get this truck I need to know lol I’m just sick of looking through “this is different no it’s not this is wait no you’re wrong” BS

Dvierra86

May 30, 2016
If it is a 6speed Allison vin 2 I would say nothing is different then a lbz. Comparing fuel timing and turbo vane maps they are the same. Now lly with a 5speed Allison. Much different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
If it is a 6speed Allison vin 2 I would say nothing is different then a lbz. Comparing fuel timing and turbo vane maps they are the same. Now lly with a 5speed Allison. Much different

Yes I’m talking about a 2006 duramax with VIN code 2 with a 6 speed.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Do enlighten me. I’m not being a smart ass I really want to know because I was told that’s it and if I get this truck I need to know lol I’m just sick of looking through “this is different no it’s not this is wait no you’re wrong” BS

Door Badges.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Can anyone second the head gasket comment? And I’m talking more along th lines of hard mechanical parts. Mine doesn’t even have badges.

CarolinaHD

Feb 8, 2011
NC
Head gaskets didn't start to change till the very beginning of 2006 (production date). The way to identify it is check the corner of the headgasket, crimped is old style and riveted is new style. Both styles do fail but crimped are worse about it.

*mostly based on personal experiences

Columbus450

Aug 24, 2017
Louisiana
Only the LLY with a six speed Allison would be comparable to a LBZ correct only difference is LLY has been detuned compared to the LBZ's higher horsepower tuning I also have research this to death and this is what I came up with.
So OP basically if you put EFI live you will be equal with the LBZ

rmallen30

Aug 12, 2009
hillsboro ohio
Head gaskets didn't start to change till the very beginning of 2006 (production date). The way to identify it is check the corner of the headgasket, crimped is old style and riveted is new style. Both styles do fail but crimped are worse about it.

*mostly based on personal experiences

Yup ! You said it .

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Thanks guys! Now to figure out build date... I am not 100000% sure it’s a 6 speed. But I know that it is a 2006 with VIN code 2. And yes it had a tapshifter. Guess we will see. Headgaskets don’t worry me too much. I’ve done them before.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
That’s what I’m thinking. Unless it has a fleece or another brand aftermarket tap shift. Looks like it was delivered December 2005 so guessing it’s got the old style Headgaskets.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
All head gaskets fail. We see just as many newer style fail then early models

Exactly. I’m finishing up a 2015 right now that had blown head gaskets. All stock 125,000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro