2005 Duramax starts and shuts off within 5 seconds

AllisLP

Aug 23, 2018
I have a 2005 Duramax recently all of the power features quit working, the radio won't turn on with the key, none of the gauges work. If I leave the batteries hooked up it will drain the batteries. When I try to start it it fires up and immediately shuts back off. I've checked all the fuses and the wiring harness in all the usual troble prone spots and have not had any luck. I have checked the fuel system and it appears to be fine. Any help, advice, ideas, or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Ron Nielson

Oct 11, 2009
Berryton, KS
When your engine turns off, is this because the key is no longer in the start position, or does it run for a few seconds while in the run position?
If your battery is being drained, perhaps starting there is a good idea.

AllisLP

Aug 23, 2018
When the engine shuts off the keys is in the run position, it will also shut off when its in the start position.

Budneeds2beers

Aka Mike Honcho....
Aug 25, 2016
Cali
How long does it take to drain the battery? If main fuse is pulled, do you still have battery issue? You have a short. Fill out your sig so we know what type and features your dmax has. That helps also try the search funtion. Welcome and read up some smart people here.

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
Have you checked voltage on both battery's after disconnecting. Just wondering if you have a bad one. I've seen a bad battery cause all sorts of issues when a cell is going out in them.