2004 LB7 with one injector at -8

kubitza123

Sep 19, 2016
Texas
Quick question for those who might know. My 04 LB7 has around 140k and has basically all bolt on's and Kory Willis tuning , with stock fuel and air. Injectors were replaced I believe in 2007 and have roughly 70k on them. All of them
Have great balance rates except #1 and it's around -8.

Starting to haze a lot at idle white/gray smoke. Occasionally slight blue smoke when you first pop the throttle if you let it idle awhile. Could just this one injector be causing this much haze? I'd assume being negative rate it's lean?

Rest of the injector rates are great. Thinking of installing just one OE injector from Lincoln Diesel if you guys think it should get rid of my haze?

Truck runs great and gets 15mph in town / hwy which I'd say is good for a 8000lb truck with 6" lift and 35's.

aashton1206

Sep 3, 2015
You would trash your other injectors if you go in the cover. You need to change the whole bank. However have you tried the upper engine cleaner yet?

2004 Silverado Cali lb7, Airdog ll 165, fresh sticks at 325k, Rick Fletes Dsp 5 on v2, 33x12.5 nitto at on 20 inch American Racing 20x10 wheels, Stage 5 Built Transmission by Mike Cole with triple disc billet low stall converter, 4 inch Injen cold air intake, Profab Intake Horn, Batmo Wheel, PPE Race Valve, Full EGR Removed w/ fed belt, 3.5 inch MBRP Downpipe, Full five inch MBRP Exhaust axle dump, lbz cp3 pump, Dual Platinum AGM Duralast, High Output Alternator, Cognito Pittman and idler w/ support kit, Cognito Upper Contol arms, Drilled and Slotted Rotors on all four Corners, FED Y Bridge, Shantz Custom Fab Traction Bars.

kubitza123

Sep 19, 2016
Texas
I've tried every cleaner and they didn't change anything.

I don't see why replacing once will trash 3 others??

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Most of the time, junk, rust, etc that is sitting in and around the fuel line nut right on the injectors falls into the injectors. This is what "trashes" them. While I have successfully replaced one injector several times you have to be very diligent on cleaning out the remaining injectors.

I have a HVAC vacuum pump and have used this and break clean to clean out the injectors and has worked well for me. Others have held them upside down and tapped the injector down on a wooden table (fuel input connection, not the solenoid) and have had success. While this can work it is taking a big risk.

aashton1206

Sep 3, 2015
Your gonna be back in there in 40k anyway cause that's the optimal lifetime of vco injectors. It's your time sir so if you want to invest the time required to go in to change one then go back in in a year to change them all then best of luck to you.

2004 Silverado Cali lb7, Airdog ll 165, fresh sticks at 325k, Rick Fletes Dsp 5 on v2, 33x12.5 nitto at on 20 inch American Racing 20x10 wheels, Stage 5 Built Transmission by Mike Cole with triple disc billet low stall converter, 4 inch Injen cold air intake, Profab Intake Horn, Batmo Wheel, PPE Race Valve, Full EGR Removed w/ fed belt, 3.5 inch MBRP Downpipe, Full five inch MBRP Exhaust axle dump, lbz cp3 pump, Dual Platinum AGM Duralast, High Output Alternator, Cognito Pittman and idler w/ support kit, Cognito Upper Contol arms, Drilled and Slotted Rotors on all four Corners, FED Y Bridge, Shantz Custom Fab Traction Bars.

kubitza123

Sep 19, 2016
Texas
Not worried about the 3hr job since doing it myself . Yes I plan to clean up everything if doing just the one.

Main question is can just one bad injector make a truck haze bad at idle or should I be looking at something else?

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Yes one injector can cause haze... But you need to be cking fuel rate along with the balance rates and the return rates per bank. Other wise your just gambling imop. I also won't due a LB7 without resealing the cups.

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
I ruined some injectors doing a head job. When you pull the high pressure line off all kinds of crap falls into the injector. I vacuumed it out and still ruined them. I would do all 4. Also silicone the top of the nut on the high pressure. It'll keep the line inside clean

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
Not worried about the 3hr job since doing it myself . Yes I plan to clean up everything if doing just the one.

Main question is can just one bad injector make a truck haze bad at idle or should I be looking at something else?

Good luck getting it done in 3 hours....if I was going in I would replace the entire side. I've replaced one before but then every 5k I was pulling it back apart to change another.

kubitza123

Sep 19, 2016
Texas
Plenty of trash fell into injectors as you said when I removed them but I bought everything to pull all four so i could hold them upside down and clean throughly. No way I'd not pull the other 3 if I was installing just 1. The chances for debris ending up in one is way to great.