2003 LB7 with the dreaded white smoke at idle

Swanny454

Dec 3, 2013
Cambridge IL
Okay, my truck has started that dreaded white smoke at idle and at hard acceleration. Truck has 243,000 miles on it and not sure how many on the injectors. I am not loosing any coolant and it's not putting any noticable amount of fuel in the oil. I pulled an oil sample and it showed .001 parts of fuel after 8,000 miles on the oil. Still averaging over 23mpg(drive 400 miles a day on interstate with a 2wd CCSB). Starts great and no power issues at all. It has had a minor smoke at idle for about 4 months but nothing major. It's now a little worse but nothing horrible. I checked codes and there are not any, but I do not have the scanner/tool to check balance rates. Should I be concerned by this? How long should I run it before doing something about it? I know if it starts dumping fuel in the oil I will have to do injectors. And finally when doing injectors what or who's would you recommend? This is my daily driver and I pull with it once and awhile. But nothing heavy

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Injectors can come from any licensed Bosch rebuild facility. Lincoln diesel is a sponsor on the site and good people to deal with. You need a good scan tool that can kill cylinders one at a time. May be just one that's your smoker. If the history is unknown I'd definitely recommend doing at least one bank at a time. If not all 8 at one time. Likely needs all 8 though. If you've already got haze I'd start planning for them sooner than later.

Brent@LDS

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 23, 2011
Wisconsin
I would recommend doing all 8 as well. You could start by checking your balance rates. Make sure you stick with OEM Bosch Reman Injectors when purchasing.

NKlamerus

Jan 31, 2014
Mine is the same way. All balance rates are below 4, no oil addition, no coolant missing. Yet it still hazes sometimes. I have noticed it does it a lot more on humid nights for some reason. Not sure if it's a haze or condensation. But if it ain't broke don't fix it

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Balance rates are really only good for calling out misfires or possibly one or 2 noise maker injectors. They won't point you toward a cracked body or haze. Last 2 lb7s I've done have had balance rates all at less than +/-2. One truck was even +/-0.5. Yet both were hazing and had high returns.

Brent@LDS

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 23, 2011
Wisconsin
Balance rates are really only good for calling out misfires or possibly one or 2 noise maker injectors. They won't point you toward a cracked body or haze. Last 2 lb7s I've done have had balance rates all at less than +/-2. One truck was even +/-0.5. Yet both were hazing and had high returns.

X2^^ high return rates cause hazing at idle.

Duramax?

Oct 24, 2011
Detroit MI
I actually started seeing the same thing, but I only have a white haze at running temp.. 145 to 160 degrees and it's not much at all.. I don't see any at hard acceleration but dark smoke if any.. Injectors were done at 100k and I'm at 230k now.(factory install). Is this something I should worry about? I don't see any fuel milage gone and oil looks to have no fuel in it or smell... Any help or guidness would be greatly appreciated.. And if it means anything truck is just a occasional use maybe to store and back a few times a week or towing my mud truck to events.. (My baby Sunday Driver)

Dmax87

Dec 3, 2013
X2^^ high return rates cause hazing at idle.

Wondering about this, I thought hazing was more of a sticky injector causing more fuel to leak into the cylinder in turn causing un burnt raw fuel smoke to come out the exhaust? Just curious, not trying to step on any toes.

cwolfley

luv'n it.
not sure what your temps are at and fuel quality! but i had the same thing going on just before i jelled up 5 degrees and lower for a few days. ran ps-911 then a new batch of fuel and more howes addy, and clear back up. just a thought.