Help: 2003 LB7 Leaking fuel like a sieve!

2003LB7

Mar 17, 2012
Minnesota
Hey guys i am new to the forum and just want to give everyone a little background about me. I live in southern minnesota. I am 19 and a full time student in college and i work with a consruction company on the weekends. I bought a 2003 GMC 2500HD with the lb7 motor in it today with 170,000 miles on it:woott:. tonight when i was driving my buddy home we started smelling diesel and when we got to his house it was pouring diesel out of the back of the motor. both sides of the bellhousing are soaked and so is the oil pan. its not just a few drips here and there, its literally a stream a diesel. the truck starts hard but runs perfect otherwise. Im pretty bummed because ive wanted this truck for a long time and now this happens.:mad: I personally know very little about diesels. So this whole ordeal is all new to me. I have done an extensive amount of work on gasoline engines, whether it be full rebuilds/engine replacements or just the smaller things that i can find and fix with my dtc scanner. SO, in short, i am pretty mechanically inclined i just havent ever worked on a diesel. So i need help guys! Whats causing this massive fuel leak??? Thank you in advance for any and all info you guys have!:dr:

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
Pull the intake tube off....and get up on her while running....I'm guessing it is leaking near the CP3....front center of motor in the Valley.

If its leaking that much, should be obvious.

When you pop the hood....look at the hood....all of my major fuel leaks have shown there lol.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
As John said look under the hood for fuel spay off. Then check all the fuel lines going into the cp3 pump in the valley. The cp3 might of lost a plug.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Does the truck have an aftermarket lift pump? If so it could be a rubber line somewhere too. Only if it's got a lift pump though

Sint frum tha orijinul smert fone

2003LB7

Mar 17, 2012
Minnesota
Thanks for the info guys. The truck ended up having to go visit the doctor. I couldn't locate the leak other than that it was coming from the front of the motor and i didn't think tearing into it myself was the best plan. It turned out to be the injector pump. $1600 for parts and labor. Should hopefully be runnin again tomorrow!

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Thanks for the info guys. The truck ended up having to go visit the doctor. I couldn't locate the leak other than that it was coming from the front of the motor and i didn't think tearing into it myself was the best plan. It turned out to be the injector pump. $1600 for parts and labor. Should hopefully be runnin again tomorrow!

So more like I was saying one of the freeze plugs came out. Could of saved yourself some coin doing it your self and getting one of these pumps.

http://creaturesofthenightperformance.com/DTech-Remanufactured-Duramax-CP3-Fuel-Pump-P2370458.aspx

2003LB7

Mar 17, 2012
Minnesota
Well the reason it went to the doctor instead of doing it myself was because the previous owner said he would fix it since the money and title hadn't changed hands yet. Nice guy right? So i just did it the way he wanted to do it and he chose taking it to the shop. If it wouldnt have worked out that way i would have had my neighbor, a certified GM mechanic, teach me a thing or two about this motor. But since it worked out the way it did, i'm not going to complain! And in response to the question about the price/labor quote, I havent heard anything other than that absolute worst case scenario, it would cost a max of $1600.