2003 LB7 clicks won't start, then finally starts

Swanny454

Dec 3, 2013
Cambridge IL
Okay guys, I have been reading all over the place about this issue and most threads point to bad batteries, ignition switch/Neutral Safety Switch. But, I don't think my problem falls under these. Here is the history. Truck starts perfect all winter long, then one very cold day I don't plug it in and it won't start and ran batteries down. I plug block heater in and put charger on the batteries. It finally starts and I move it closer to the garage and plug it back in. The next day starter just clicks, eventually it starts. I have no issues for a month. Then it won't start again, starter clicks a few times when cycling the key and it finally starts. No issues for another month and then it does it again, but it does it every day. Will eventually start. So I check starter and the soleniod has been hot and discolored the positive post. So I replace with a new Napa starter two weeks ago. Cleaned terminals, inspected all grounds and everything looks good. No issues for two weeks. Tonight, stop for fuel and clicks won't start. After laying in water puddles checking wiring, connections and thinking my new starter took a crap had my son come get me. Unhooked batteries before leaving truck at gas station. Went home and got tools to remove starter. Came back 1 hour later. Hooked up battery cables and it fires right up. I am at a loss. I will have batteries load tested tommorrow but can't believe with the cold winter they would make it through only to have issues now. I tried starting it and moved shifter back and forth while trying to start it. Since it's starting now I can't check voltage coming out of the key switch. It doesn't matter if truck is hot or cold, it does it both ways. Sometimes it's cold, sometimes hot. I drive the truck 350-400 per day and it freaks me out to shut it off since I never know when I isn't going to start. Any ideas? I have now put a jumper wire in my glove box so when it happens I can put it on and send 12 volts to soleniod wire to rule tht issue out

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
If I'm not mistaken there was a thread on here about after market starters not being worth crap. I know I put 2 on my lb7 from O'Reilly's because the first one crapped out. It was doing the same thing you describe. I'm pretty sure it did again on the guy I sold the truck to as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Swanny454

Dec 3, 2013
Cambridge IL
That's why I bought a Napa starter. They are not that cheap Duralast crap. It did the exact same thing with the old starter. So it leads me to believe it has nothing to do with the starter and more with the wiring leading to the starter. Batteries tested 12.9 and 12.8, I added a second wire off the solenoid and ran it up by the battery so I can do a test once the issue occurs again. I have a mutilmeter in my glove box so I can check voltage to the solenoid to see if it is low. I started it 12-13 times today with no issues. It makes no sense to me

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Not to start a pissing match but Napa parts aren't what they used to be. It's all made overseas anymore. I wouldn't assume the new starter is good and fully functional.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Swanny454

Dec 3, 2013
Cambridge IL
Your not starting a pissing match, I agree. I still have my good Hitachi starter and will order a solenoid for it and see if that cures the problem. However, I did pull the sheathing off the passenger side positive cable and it is clean, but it appears the rubber sheathing is not allowing the cable to actually touch the positive post, and the threads are stripped on the post bolt. I removed the sheathing and replaced the bolt and retorqued. Maybe this has something to do with it. Guess time will tell