2001 LB7 is my Trans toast?

801duramaxxx

Aug 22, 2018
Salt Lake City, Ut
drove around town for 2 days taking it easy ran and shifted good so i hooked it up to my ~8000lb toy hauler and drove 100miles through some hilly terrain down to the sand dunes here in utah and she did the deed just fine. once we slowed down to about 30-40mph the trans started to get a little warm. just under the big notch between 200 and 300 going to install a quality cooler and see how she does then.

Thanks everyone

801duramaxxx

Aug 22, 2018
Salt Lake City, Ut
Well the truck seemed fine for awhile. started throwing a p0741 code came up the first time towing my trailer taking it pretty easy. it only throws the code when towing my trailer and after the trans was warmed up to operating temp. trans would get hot when this code shows up I'm assuming because the TC wasn't locking, babied it home and parked it for a week or so.
Next trip i took was about 300 miles and the truck ran awesome not a single hiccup until about 200 miles in to where we were headed trans got hot so i pulled over and the same p0741 code came up. cooled down a bit and got back on the road and the issue only got worse, but then a new code came up which was p1711 the other code was not coming up anymore. dropped the pan removed the valve body and made sure the E valve wasnt stuck noticed the f trim valve(i think) was scored up like the coating around the valve was chipping off. did my best too smooth it out i know ill need a new one but i had to get it home. threw the VB back in the truck and it seemed fine until it warmed up and threw a p0847 and won't go past 2nd gear.
after all that and having a buddy drive 300 miles to pickup my trailer i limped the truck home and the only way i could get past second gear once the trans was warmed up was to put my foot on the floor and get through the gears before it could set a code. now the only code i have coming up is p0847 and the truck will get stuck in 2nd gear. is the trim valve i smoothed out causing this issue? fluid was black and burnt when i dropped the pan all new fluid in it about a month ago and was fine up until now.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Sounds like you should have taken the advice of the members here and had it built by a reputable shop

There is a good possibility you are going to end up spending twice. If you are not specifically trained in the Allison transmission you best leave it alone

Sorry if I came across a little blunt but that is how I see it

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
P0741 means the converter clutch never locked. Time to hook up a Tech 2 and diagnose or just start throwing money at it.

801duramaxxx

Aug 22, 2018
Salt Lake City, Ut
No worries i knew that was coming. i understand an allison tech has the knowledge that i don't know, but that exactly why i do things myself is to learn this knowledge. i have 3 other trucks to use to tow my trailer so I'm not so worried about this one being parked.

I know that you should never try and sand/refurbish a valve but i gave it a shot just to get my truck and trailer back into town off the snowy muddy mountain and it worked and i could get into 1st gear. after a lot of mud slinging i made it into the nearest town where i had cell service. but after that the p1711 stopped showing up and it would only throw the p0847 code. The only time the p0741 would show up was when i was towing my trailer. other than that it never shows up.

the truck drove home 300 miles up and down steep grades with no issues going 70-80mph running around 150-180 for temp. and the TC locked and unlocked in 4th and 5th just fine. besides when i had start from a stop in 1st gear if you drive normal it throws a p0847 and gets locked in second gear once the trans is warmed up. but if i kept my foot on the floor through 2nd gear it would lock the TC and shift up to 3rd gear and drive fine from there on.

I don't want to just throw money at it i have to many projects to be doing that. i don't know anyone with a tech 2 but i do have a buddy with a nice snap on scanner would that do the trick or do i need the tech 2? i also have hptuners but I'm not sure of all the parameters that i should log or if it will have the ones that i need.

i appreciate any insight on the issue and any advice any of you guys have

801duramaxxx

Aug 22, 2018
Salt Lake City, Ut
I’ve tried uploading a picture #33 and #59 are the valves that are all scored up and damaged. F trim valve and I’m not sure of the other valve. Where can I find these parts? Also #16 had some debris in it making it stick pretty good does anyone know exactly what valves these are?

Attachments

• 520AD109-5A01-4DE5-8A0B-0D6CF765C315.jpg
    520AD109-5A01-4DE5-8A0B-0D6CF765C315.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 28

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Did you ever get your trans lines and cooler cleaned or replaced when you did your rebuild? I question where this "debris" came from after you rebuilt it

801duramaxxx

Aug 22, 2018
Salt Lake City, Ut
I did clean my cooler and cooler lines best i could i back flushed with new clean fluid and compressed air. I'm sure theres better ways to go about it, but it did the job. installed a new valve body and so far so good. shifts fine when warmed up now so we'll see once i hookup to my trailer again.

801duramaxxx

Aug 22, 2018
Salt Lake City, Ut
She's going strong now got the fluid back to a bright red color and the fluid temp stays where it should. now that the TQ works i noticed when towing in Tow Haul the converter locks really hard mid way through 2nd gear when gaining speed from a stop. sort of like dropping the clutch in a manual transmission when your already rolling and on the accelerator. i know its locking when its supposed to but is it suppose to lock the converter pretty hard?