1972 k10 lb7

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Do you know why you're having such trouble with the 4r100? Didn't BTS build the trans in the dragster running the powerstroke and now has a dmax? Think its maybe david lott? Think he was talking about having very few issues with his. Are you just making quite a bit more power than he ever did?

Sorry if this is veering a little OT.

bcdeutsch731

Nov 4, 2010
Illinois
Do you know why you're having such trouble with the 4r100? Didn't BTS build the trans in the dragster running the powerstroke and now has a dmax? Think its maybe david lott? Think he was talking about having very few issues with his. Are you just making quite a bit more power than he ever did?

Sorry if this is veering a little OT.

Yes, there is a dragster, Beans black Chevy with the Cummins in it, H&S white dodge drag truck and a few others running the ford trans. Brian said none of them are having problems like I'm having. I have broke one input shaft and twisted another one full tooth off. I have broken one output shaft and gone through two converters. Anyone that has seen me race knows I'm not on my converter for very long so I know that's not the problem. I guess I'm just hard on stuff.
Sorry OP. Back on topic now.

peterbilt

Aug 29, 2012
Its all good

I'm not worried about weight
It will just be a daily driver that's fun to drive

Do I need to have lb7 pushed all the way back ?

Will a 205 hold up? I won't be racing it but prob punch it off lights
Will 14/60 hold up if I hole shot it
Will factory ac work or should I do a vintage kit
I have a lift to remove cab too

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
The np205 is without a doubt the strongest t-case new process ever came out with so yes.

And again d60/14 bolt are as well super ridiculously strong axles as well the 14bolt IMO is almost indestructible and as long as you get a kingpin d60 it will handle anything you throw at it.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Oregon, the axles & transfer case in your 01 are better than a 14bff & np205 ever dreamed of. You're correr about the d60 though.

I think they'd work in this application though. :) the 205 has been shown not to work in diesel-powered pulling trucks even with expensive internals but they should handle normal use I'd think but can't say for sure. If not, they're plentiful & cheap so its worth a shot imo. On the 14bff, again, theyve been easily shreaded on the pulling track by diesels but with good shafts, I'd think they could surely handle normal use and even the occasional romp.

But if OP has full donor, why not use the superior aam from it? Should basically just need to relocate the spring perches, shock mounts (maybe?) & fix brake lines to mate to it. No?

peterbilt

Aug 29, 2012
My donor is a dually n is 2wd

Hopefully I will have engine n trans out this weekend and ready to mock up

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Oregon, the axles & transfer case in your 02 are better than a 14bff & np205 ever dreamed of. You're correr about the d60 though.

I think they'd work in this application though. :) the 205 has been shown not to work in diesel-powered pulling trucks even with expensive internals but they should handle normal use I'd think but can't say for sure. If not, they're plentiful & cheap so its worth a shot imo. On the 14bff, again, theyve been easily shreaded on the pulling track by diesels but with good shafts, I'd think they could surely handle normal use and even the occasional romp.

But if OP has full donor, why not use the superior aam from it? Should basically just need to relocate the spring perches, shock mounts (maybe?) & fix brake lines to mate to it. No?

Well for one pulling can ruin anything, everything I say is meant for anything but pulling.

So on that note I disagree, the np205 is iron case gear driven (no chain) and the 14 bolt is highly regarded as one of the strongest axles that ever came in a pickup. I've been messing with rockcrawlers my whole life and nothing can outlive a 14 bolt as far as 8lug is concerned.

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
+1 ^^^ on the 205 and 14b. I almost went with a 205 in my truck but decided to go with a 273.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Can either of those handle boosted launches on pavement? Can the 205 handle speed in 4HI? I've only ever seen them launched hard in 4wd in mud. Don't think I've ever seen anyone drag race one on the street/strip outside of an ol' country boy hammering on it from time to time or the occassional random video on youtube. Those are honest questions though, I really do wonder if they can handle that stuff. I have a NICE chassis/drivetrain already in my 83 if so. :thumb:

As a small jab though, I know the AAM and 261/263/271/273 can handle both of those tasks and live to tell you about it PLUS handle sled pulling with diesel MUCH better. :D

On rock crawling, do many people use the D80 or AAM in rock crawling? Both, as far as I've seen (aka not in a rock crawling setting), have more strength than a 14bff. It seems to me that in the offroad world, once the common d60/14bff don't hold up to whatever you're doing, they go to either fabricated axles front and rear or rockwell/2.5 ton stuff??

Don't misunderstand though, I don't think the 205 or 14bff are junk nor am I saying they are weak. I think they'll be fine in this application. :thumb:

peterbilt

Aug 29, 2012
I've seen a 205/14/60 take a lot of abuse on mud trucks and even full on race trucks using a 14/60 but that's mud it has alot of give

I don't plan to drag race or sled pull but I don't want to drive around and feel like it can fail at any moment I already worry about my Allison

Would finding a aam be better then a 14 bolt

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Can either of those handle boosted launches on pavement? Can the 205 handle speed in 4HI? I've only ever seen them launched hard in 4wd in mud. Don't think I've ever seen anyone drag race one on the street/strip outside of an ol' country boy hammering on it from time to time or the occassional random video on youtube. Those are honest questions though, I really do wonder if they can handle that stuff. I have a NICE chassis/drivetrain already in my 83 if so. :thumb:

As a small jab though, I know the AAM and 261/263/271/273 can handle both of those tasks and live to tell you about it PLUS handle sled pulling with diesel MUCH better. :D

On rock crawling, do many people use the D80 or AAM in rock crawling? Both, as far as I've seen (aka not in a rock crawling setting), have more strength than a 14bff. It seems to me that in the offroad world, once the common d60/14bff don't hold up to whatever you're doing, they go to either fabricated axles front and rear or rockwell/2.5 ton stuff??

Don't misunderstand though, I don't think the 205 or 14bff are junk nor am I saying they are weak. I think they'll be fine in this application. :thumb:

i will agree with you on the top part, i dont know if they can holt up to the street or not, but given there strength i would think so :confused: but someone really needs to test it.

as far as dirt is concerned the D80 and AAM are too big, bulky and dont offer as many options for lockers, chromolly shafts, R&P selection, and they have terrible ground clearance. the D80 is a boat anchor. the 14bolt is the ultimate choice for rearend in offroad hands down.

the fab 9's are still not holding up to what the 14 bolt can do as far as strength. obviously rockwells are indestructible but once again they are enormous and weigh a $hit load and have extremely poor brakes and are expensive.

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
i think if it were me i would reconsider the transfercase and not worry about the 14bolt, the axle is incredibly beast, but the geardrive np205 might not be a good idea, for one its lever operated only and sometimes hard for me to get mine in to gear. for DD purposes i would stick to the proven t-case out of the dmax just because we all know what it can do and if you can do it get a push button! so much easier and cleaner install

Jacy_dzlguy

lots to learn...
Aug 27, 2011
South Florida
Subscribed to see how this works out:thumb: We have a 71 GMC Cummins but we put the gmc body on the dodge chasis because we want a good 3/4 frame with 4x4 so we can use it for work.:)

peterbilt

Aug 29, 2012
Well I have a 205 so I'm gonna try it I feel pretty confident In its ability

A 14bff/d60 is a direct swap also

I got enough on my plate with 6.6 swap

cetane4

Feb 15, 2011
post pix!!! should be a fun build!! im in the process of building a 69 chevy 2wd with a lb7 duramax in it :thumb:

peterbilt

Aug 29, 2012
Well I still haven't pulled engine out of donor or from my 72 I'll do a build thread when I do tho

It won't be a over night deal either

peterbilt

Aug 29, 2012
Some updates

Attachments

• ResizedImage_1385397335343.jpg
    ResizedImage_1385397335343.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20131123_160306_470.jpg
    IMG_20131123_160306_470.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20130605_181708_537.jpg