120' Erection

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
:D
Some pics from work yesterday,We stood a 120'x 8" flare stack
We will use this to flow test a gas well it is anticipated to flow around 26MMCF/DAY and is 32% sour gas

Attachments

• DSCN0274.jpg
    DSCN0274.jpg
    544.6 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCN0272 (Large).JPG
    DSCN0272 (Large).JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCN0273 (Large).JPG
    DSCN0273 (Large).JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCN0271 (Large).JPG
    DSCN0271 (Large).JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 60

Skyhigh4by

Goin to Poochisloose
Apr 13, 2008
Powell River, BC
Thats a monster stack. I worked in the patch testing and flowing back fracs and other crap for awhile but nothing like that we were all mobile

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Wow 32% sour!
How much propane do you plan to burn a day??
Drayton valley area ??

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Why so tall???

c-ya

we are surrounded by residents that will complain if there is even 1 part per billion of H2s,the higher the stack = more disipation

I myself prefer useing big stacks with critical sour wells.....one small breathe of 30% h2s and it's goodnight Irene

This well is so sour that you can flow 20mmcf and not even see it in the day light, and the flare is roughly 70' above the top of the stack

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
That's pretty crazy. We set flares and torches on most of the landfills I work on. Obviously we burn off the methane produced from the decomposing trash. You can't see the flares burning during the day other than the heat waves. Elsewise, the flames are "clear". At night, however, they put on a show. :D

Just random rambling here.... It must be really expensive to setup generators to run off of the methane and produce electricity because not many of the landfills are interested in doing that. At least not around here. How abut up in Canada or other parts of the U.S. Do you all see or know of any of the landfills that do this??? I'm assuming it's mostly due to economic infeasibility???? Sure seems like a win-win situation to me though. Get paid to have people dump their waste, get the fuel to pwer the electric generators for free as a by-product to the waste decomposition and then sell the electicity to the elec. company. Hard to see a shortcoming in that situation unless the setup and facility is just astronomically expensive or the going rate for electricity is really low.

Ah anyways, enough rambling....

C-ya

Last edited:

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Mitch, lately we have been doing a ton of drilling for methane,Very shallow and easy to put on line (Cost wise) I myself stay away from that work! Very boring and very low pressure JMHO

As far as what your saying I have never seen what we do with our waste diposal
so not sure?

fajitatone

Almost Stock
Jul 6, 2007
WA
www.fajita.net
That's pretty crazy. We set flares and torches on most of the landfills I work on. Obviously we burn off the methane produced from the decomposing trash. You can't see the flares burning during the day other than the heat waves. Elsewise, the flames are "clear". At night, however, they put on a show. :D

Just random rambling here.... It must be really expensive to setup generators to run off of the methane and produce electricity because not many of the landfills are interested in doing that. At least not around here. How abut up in Canada or other parts of the U.S. Do you all see or know of any of the landfills that do this??? I'm assuming it's mostly due to economic infeasibility???? Sure seems like a win-win situation to me though. Get paid to have people dump their waste, get the fuel to pwer the electric generators for free as a by-product to the waste decomposition and then sell the electicity to the elec. company. Hard to see a shortcoming in that situation unless the setup and facility is just astronomically expensive or the going rate for electricity is really low.

C-ya

What, and lower the price of electricity? ARE YOU NUTS?

not profitable for the electric companies. :rolleyes:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I've seen shit plants that burn off gases to a flare stack, but never a landfill.
Most of the sawmills up here use their waste to run co-generation plants to produce their own electricity. Almost 0 emissions and are extremely expensive to build but are efficient to run. My brother said the one at his mill cost 11 million to build!!

Is that job an under-balanced Drill job Simon?? Or are you just a flunky tester on this one?:D

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
in layman's terms, what is "sour gas"??? Seems like it's bad and at 32% is evidently dangerous??? Sorry for the really newb questions. You're all's line of work is very interesting to me though. Wish it wasn't so dang cold up there though, I might would send a resume. :( They'd also have to have a bunch more truck pulls than they currently have. :D

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Sour gas is actually H2S (hydrogen sulphide). H2S gas is colorless, heavier than air, and extremely toxic. It has a rotten egg smell, and causes eye and throat irritation. H2S deadens your sense of smell at low concentrations, and in higher concentrations causes death. 1% = 10,000 ppm. According to H2S Alive (a safety course I had to take), 700-1000 ppm (0.07-0.1%) causes immediate loss of conciousness, permanent brain damage, and death if not rescued immediately. And Simon's well is 32% or 320,000 ppm. :eek:

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
OH! Well holy shit that's insane. I take Simon is an adrenaline junky because that has to be nerve-racking to do work in that environment with that kind of danger lirking at the other end of the well. Like's the the living-on-the-edge atmosphere associated with that job. Is it considered a "hazardous duty" job like a fireman, cop, etc.??? Sure sounds like it should be and certainly should be paid as such.

Yep, that is a kick azz job though. Cool gig!

C-ya

hhhsharps

May 24, 2008

C-ya

I have some employees that do the mechanical maint. on a methane fired generator station. The location happens to be on Hill Air Force Base in Northern Utah. The methane comes from the Davis County landfill just outside the base property. O2 (oxygen) scavengers pump O2 into the ground and we draw off the methane and pump it to the generators. Of interest is the fact that we only run on 5 psi in the main line, but it feeds 3 large v-12 Caterpillars. Total output is about 6KV and it is dumped into the grid.;)

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
OH! Well holy shit that's insane. I take Simon is an adrenaline junky because that has to be nerve-racking to do work in that environment with that kind of danger lirking at the other end of the well. Like's the the living-on-the-edge atmosphere associated with that job. Is it considered a "hazardous duty" job like a fireman, cop, etc.??? Sure sounds like it should be and certainly should be paid as such.

Yep, that is a kick azz job though. Cool gig!

C-ya
Simon's day consists mostly of McRat Racing website surfing, and smoking cigarette's.:rofl: Well tester's also have the title "resters" because they spend a lot of time doing nothing. The service rig guys are always giving them a hard time!!

It's not terribly dangerous if you maintain your equipment, keep your head out of your ass, and use pre-caution when working around your iron and equipment. I work in the well service industry as well in the pumping services and coiled tubing side, we always try to purge our lines with water/N2 and whenever we undo any connections when working around sour wells, we always are carefull to stay up wind and have somebody around with an H2S monitor just in case.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I see. Thanks for sharing. You all have interesting jobs IMO. Just not something you hear about everyday. Kinda like mine... I've never heard of anyone talking about designing landfills before. :D It has it's stinky moments. HAHAHA :hehe:

C-ya