LB7: 11B_Dmax project? thread nahh just a log to keep track of what i did

11B_DMax

Oct 5, 2015
Fort Bliss
well guys I'm just gonna put this here. too keep track of everything I do to the truck and to hopefully give and receive advice on the truck as i get it too where i wanna get it ( but we all know projects are never done)

well i cant promise things will go quick as we all know the Army doesnt pay super well haha.

little history of the truck.

Im the second owner of the truck. My grandpa was the original buyer, bought it right off the showroom floor in 2004.

truck now has 99xxx miles on it.

2004 GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD LB7 with the allison.

ill keep this updated with what i do to the truck. i have big plans for it. and alot will happen after i get back from deployment ( leaving in june for the middle east)

but i have some stuff coming before then.

here are some pics

doing what it use to do before I enlisted and moved here to Ft. Bliss

i dont have a good picture of my gauges but i have autometer fuel rail pressure, boost, and pyro on the pillar

factory fuel filter delete

airdog 100

got a downpipe to install ( ive read the horror stories of how hard this is too do, but ill get it)

new mirrors finally

old mirror comparison

11B_DMax

Oct 5, 2015
Fort Bliss
i love cab lights so i picked up a whole kit off ebay. i may install them myself or ill take it to a body shop. havent decided yet. ive installed them before so i may just do it myself.

4 inch magnaflow straightpipe exhaust with a 5" tip

11B_DMax

Oct 5, 2015
Fort Bliss
well i guess i should tell you my plans for the truck!

im replacing the injectors with stock ones this month as typical lb7 they are going out.

4" Lift ( still need to beable to get connected to my gooseneck back home so no 6")

33's on 20" raceline assaults

new intake horn

s&B intake

those two are hopefully before deployment these next will be after

ATP tunes with the edge cts2 to switch tunes and also to replace my gauges.

drop in 64mm replacement turbo.

have the trans rebuilt stronger.

traction bars

im sure there is more but that'll be much later down the road these are hopefully quicker mods and upgrades i can do

11B_DMax

Oct 5, 2015
Fort Bliss
wasnt really on my list wanted bumpers in the future but for $70 i couldnt pass it up. i need the brackets for my truck tho. gonna call westin next week and see if i can get some coming

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
Be safe on the deployment.

I suggest that you move the EGT probe wire from where it is tied down to the motor. Had my first one like that and it broke the wires where the stainless braid meets the crimped stainless shield on the probe. Move the tie to the motor and have not had the problem again.

11B_DMax

Oct 5, 2015
Fort Bliss
I'll see what I can do. I may just just give it more slack and tie it too the motor also.

Thanks for the tip!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Vincode1

Vincode1
Aug 23, 2014
Nor-cal
Thank you for your service!!!

Clean truck, I really like the color.
I did my downpipe, yes it was a pain, but very happy with the new sound.
Check out your transfercase for pump rub. Good luck with the injectors, I haven't done mine yet, but everything I read stressed "cleanliness.":thumb:

11B_DMax

Oct 5, 2015
Fort Bliss
Thank you for your service!!!

Clean truck, I really like the color.
I did my downpipe, yes it was a pain, but very happy with the new sound.
Check out your transfercase for pump rub. Good luck with the injectors, I haven't done mine yet, but everything I read stressed "cleanliness.":thumb:
Thank you for the support!

I've heard it gives the truck a whole new life too. My buddy did his and said his turbo just acted way different.

Do you have any tips on the xcase? I literally just broke 100000 miles yesterday. I've heard about the kit. Just never have it much thought.

And cleanliness is top priority. Was back when I was changing heads and injectors on cats and Cummins. So no exception on this truck.

I did injectors on my old 7.3 a few times ( long story not my fault)

Erensel

Jul 30, 2015
Oh good old Ft Bliss... I'm going to be demobing there in a couple of months, if the army allows me to go play we should grab some beers.

Vincode1

Vincode1
Aug 23, 2014
Nor-cal
Thank you for the support!

I've heard it gives the truck a whole new life too. My buddy did his and said his turbo just acted way different.

Do you have any tips on the xcase? I literally just broke 100000 miles yesterday. I've heard about the kit. Just never have it much thought.

And cleanliness is top priority. Was back when I was changing heads and injectors on cats and Cummins. So no exception on this truck.

I did injectors on my old 7.3 a few times ( long story not my fault)

When I discovered my pump rub, I was at 140,000. I didn't have time to fix it right then, so I JB welded it for about 5,000 miles before I could get to it. I got the kit from Merchant Auto, and for the rear halve, I stuck with magnesium and got it on eBay. It wasn't a bad job to do. The tips I can add are have a pair of snap ring pliers that can open about 1 1/4" and mark your drive shafts so they can go back in the same way.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 34

11B_DMax

Oct 5, 2015
Fort Bliss
http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/how-tos-diy-write-ups/89225-how-gm-transfer-case-pump-rub-kit.html
I followed this, Google, and you tube videos.
No gasket. The sealant came in the MA kit.:D

thanks! thats a great write and a nice break from the APA biology paper Im writing right now...

if anyone of yall are really bored and wanna see my other project and what i can do here is the thread of my 7.3 powerstroke i brought back from the dead

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/po...cts/305362-broke-college-kid-project-log.html

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
The xfer case has a couple of pry points cast into it for separating it. Chemical gasket between the 2 halves. pay close attention to the orientation of the pump kit when you put it in. I did not use the merchant kit, but a stamped steel plate instead.

11B_DMax

Oct 5, 2015
Fort Bliss
The xfer case has a couple of pry points cast into it for separating it. Chemical gasket between the 2 halves. pay close attention to the orientation of the pump kit when you put it in. I did not use the merchant kit, but a stamped steel plate instead.
Was it a in house kinda deal you made? Or just another vendors kits?

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
Don't remember where I got the plate from. At the time it was $50 compare to $175 (or more) plus the rear half of the case.

The plate is now $35.