06 with 80k on it. Drop in MPG

jeeperaz

Apr 9, 2015
I've owned this truck since new. Use it mostly to pull a toy hauler. 285 MT's since new. Otherwise it's stock. No tuner, no mods.

I havent hand calculated my mileage. I'm not too concerned about how accurate the DIC is but rather why the change in mpg. Forever, I was averaging around 13.5-14mpg around town with a heavy foot. Now, really babying the go pedal, I'm lucky to average 11.8 mpg. If I was to drive like I used to, I bet it would be at least another mpg less.

I don't know if this is related but I suspect it is... roughly 10k miles ago, I started noticing strong exhaust smell. Nothing visible from pipe. When I pull up to a traffic light, I have to make sure ac is on recirculate or hope a breeze is blowing the exhaust away from me.

Also, a few times, when pulling the trailer, I've had to roll down the windows to let in fresh air in the cab. No pattern to when that happens.... could be heavy throttle going up a hill or just cruising.

I've cleaned the MAF. I've replaced thermostats.

Any thoughts on where/what to look at? Also, is there an inexpensive DIY way to test my injectors or check their balance rates? Thanks!

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
You should invest in a scanner with bidirectional controls so you can disable injectors and see if it's just one or all starting to go bad. Lots of other good functions you can do with them too

You can possibly see if you live near someone with the tools that would be willing to hookup to it and read out the information for things like balance rates and main rate. We'd need to know your approximate location to do that. So, maybe fill in your information and someone might offer up. Lots of members here all over the country who are likely willing to pitch in a helping hand with just a case of beer as compensation

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Not something i can do on the side with my limited schedule but your welcome to schedule with my shop for the guys to check it out. PM me and i can get you the shop info

if you are trying to save shop costs, might be a good idea to invest into a good scanner or something like a CTS2 so you can monitor data. This probably wont be the last time you will need it lol.

jeeperaz

Apr 9, 2015
Check your air filter ? Seen it 4 or 5 times

Check it for being dirty? It's pretty new.

Edit * now that I've looked at my records, I may not have changed the air filter as recent as I had thought. Got a new one coming tomorrow morning.

Last edited: