06 lly test drive, what to look for?

jasonsram

Feb 16, 2013
so im going to test drive an 06 lly today. its a 2500 4x4 108k, asking $28k (too high in my opinion) and i peeked inside and it had guages on the drivers side a pillar including a boost guage. that and the banks 6 gun tuner leads me to believe it might have been a semi dogged truck. nonetheless, im gonna take it on a test drive, partly to see if its a good truck to buy, partly as my continued research on getting my first diesel truck. what should i look for on the test drive? how do i determine if its been dogged or not, or will need injectors soon, or a tranny? there are alot of expensive parts to owning a diesel, and it has my feet a little tepid to dive in, especially on a chipped truck. what should i do and what should i look for?

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
First if it hasnt been run since night before pop hood and feel the upper radiator hose see if its hard. If its been run Check coolant. Check color. Once its idling, does it haze at idle. Its a lly, so u shouldn't have to worry about it but u could pull off oil cap when its running and see if theres blow bye. Then just the normal check the trans fluid and run the vin number see what it brings up. Go under and see how the conditon of the spin on filter. If its clean, probably been changed kinda recently which can be a good thing. When driving it, under decent throttle watch rpm when truck is shifting for flaring. And i always check to make sure the transfer case shifts smoothly thru all options with no odd noises.

Im sure there more i forgot but just a few i look at. Good luck.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Make sure the glow plug module recall/update was done. Other than that, everything that Arneson stated.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
*sigh* Good god....no need to be sarcastic, but you could've just posted to check those, too. Arny had a pretty good list, and agreed with your tech 2 comment. My post agreed with that.

This is no longer the forum I joined 5 years ago....its damn sad.

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
NC, i didnt read anywhere where tom said your post was to be overlooked or wasnt important. Tom just stated another thing to check or look at, same as u and i did. Were all here to help out. :thumb:

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania

I agree Tom.

Back on track.

Jasonsram, with the mileage I would check the front hub assemblies and the transfer case for pump rub.

To check the hub assemblies, jack the front up, grab the wheel at 12 and 6 and see if it moves... any play is bad.

For the t-case, slide under the truck and see if there is fluid on the back of the case.

Hoosier

Stock is Slow
Mar 27, 2012
Indiana
06 LLYs came with Allisons also.

Really? I have always been told that all 06 trucks came with an lbz. The ZF trucks had an lbz that had just been detuned to an lly because they couldn't keep clutches together. I guess I'm misinformed.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Really? I have always been told that all 06 trucks came with an lbz. The ZF trucks had an lbz that had just been detuned to an lly because they couldn't keep clutches together. I guess I'm misinformed.
All 06 trucks produced before late September are LLYs (aka detuned LBZs). They have the 6 speed Allison and Bosch ECMs. I have one. All ZF trucks are LLYs through the entire year model run (last year for the manual, as I'm sure you know since you're looking for one). The Duramax used in the Van is also an LLY. So technically, the 06 LLY could have either an Allison, ZF-6 manual, or 4L85E mated to it. :thumb:

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
*sigh* Good god....no need to be sarcastic, but you could've just posted to check those, too. Arny had a pretty good list, and agreed with your tech 2 comment. My post agreed with that.

My bad, I guess having to deal with Ben constantly has made me be a tad bitter...:mad:

No harm no foul...:hug:

OP, first thing to figure out is if it's and LLZ or an LLY...

Hoosier

Stock is Slow
Mar 27, 2012
Indiana
All 06 trucks produced before late September are LLYs (aka detuned LBZs). They have the 6 speed Allison and Bosch ECMs. I have one. All ZF trucks are LLYs through the entire year model run (last year for the manual, as I'm sure you know since you're looking for one). The Duramax used in the Van is also an LLY. So technically, the 06 LLY could have either an Allison, ZF-6 manual, or 4L85E mated to it. :thumb:

Gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Id look for another truck at that price. but for any dmax id look at the coolant tank
check wheel bearings, check the t-case, check u joints.

if it had a banks tuner it prob b safe, id prefer that over a efi tune.

look to see if it has the air intake changed, crankcase reroughted is there a aftermarket exhaust.

having efi scan tool would be handy

that way you can get a feel for how far the guy went.

wouldnt hurt to check the turbo shaft play.