06 LLY HG Replacement.

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
Id just bolt new stock ones. The trucks ive been in with aftermarket motor mounts are very rattly in the cab. It would be a great idea to put delipped lb7 or lly pistons in but its not a must.

JDT4430

Jul 29, 2014
OK I looked at few threads and will bolt some new stock mounts. I think I will take my chances with the pistons I have since I dont plan to push the HP all that much just stock tranny safe tunes. Not saying that it wont crack but hopefullly if it does I will have a little more money to play with and know that the rest of the truck is sound. I appreiciate all the help.

JDT4430

Jul 29, 2014
Well I think this rebuild is about to get more expensive yet. Started to clean the block a little this morning and was looking at the piston were the head gasket blew and its worse than I orginally thought it was. The cylinder looks alright you can still see the cross hatches and the leupord spots but no were near as good as the other cylinders. At this point I almost want to put it together and just leave the programming stock and see how long it will last. The way I see it is if im going to pull this piston to replace it that cylinder at minimum would need to be honed. If im going to do that I would want to go ahead and replace all the bearings also. On the other hand since this will not be my daily driver I could put it together the way it is and wait till it cracks. If and when it cracks have it bored and replace all pistons with LB7 delipped pistons at a minimum. and go from there. What do you guys think.

If yall would replace it how would you guys go about it. Replace that one piston with a stock LBZ piston with new rings and maybe hone the cylinder and reinstall with new bearings on all rods.

Will try to get some good pics of the bad cylinder and one of the good ones also.

JDT4430

Jul 29, 2014
Heres the pics of the cylinders. All but the one bad one look as good or better than the good one pictured here.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Any idea how long it was run with the bad hg? Can still see a little crosshatching in the bad cylinder, so that is hopefully ok.... but the pitting on the piston is be more troubling to me.

JDT4430

Jul 29, 2014
I have no idea how long it was run with the bad head gasket. At first i was thinking ehhh it ran when i pulled it apart so it will run when i put it back together. But im sure with me behind the wheel with a dsp 5 switch its asking for trouble. Do you think if i could find some one that had a used stock piston I could just put my rings on it and replace all the rod bearings and be good to go? Also by the other parts I have replaced like the carrier bearing and the u joint they didnt care to much about maintinance.

JDT4430

Jul 29, 2014
Well finally made some progress the last three days in between helping the wife with the new baby and our 2 year old.

Did anyone else have a hard time with the shorty one piece y bridge from profab. Had hell getting it far enough down to bolt up which could be from having the head decked and not taking anything off the intake side or maybe i used a bit to much silicone on the intakes. Also had to reroute ome of the hard fuel line because it was hitting the pipe. So we bent it up and ran a longer piece of hose around the back side and down to the

JDT4430

Jul 29, 2014
I have good lbz pistons id sell for 150$, that if you would want them. Had 90k on them.

Appreciate the offer but im not going back in now. Hopefully that one will hold together long enough for me to save some money and if it cracks I will upgrade everything in the bottom end.

JDT4430

Jul 29, 2014
Got evrything back together and fired up tuesday night. Everything seems to run good and sounds good but I do have a few issues to resolve. It appears that the oil cooler is leaking coolant, there looks to be a small tranny fluid leak were one of the hard lines goes into the radiator and the power steering gearbox is leaking like a sieve. Also need to replace all the a arm bushings and brake pads.

How hard is it to pull the oil cooler with the motor in the truck?

JDT4430

Jul 29, 2014
I have a couple questions for you guys. First is were do the two sensors for the air bags go. The ones behind the front bumper. If someone has a pic it would be great help. Also the Service air bag system is lite up in the dash and pops up on the DIC amd just wonder if anyone knows how to get this to clear.