06 8.1L Vortec Tuning

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
Anyone have a pump gas tune laying around for a 06 8.1L Vortec? I'm tuning the trans myself (going to see where the thing likes bringing in 6th gear at lower speeds to improve economy) but I am not a genius at ECM tuning.

Mods, would it be better to post this in the tune library section?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
I'll bet you get worse mileage by doing that.

Good to know, guess we will scrap that idea.

My father is giving up on diesels in general (he's had bad luck buying 6.0L fords recently, twice) that he is going to pick up a 06 8.1L with 94k miles. It also helps he doesn't drive a huge amount of miles each year, mainly in town and plowing snow.

Mike, any worthwhile upgrades that aren't going to break the bank on that generation trans behind an 8.1?

Columbus450

Aug 24, 2017
Louisiana
There is more diesels out there than the unreliable 6.0 should not give up on them completely why did you not turn him on to the 6.6 Duramax

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
There is more diesels out there than the unreliable 6.0 should not give up on them completely why did you not turn him on to the 6.6 Duramax

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So he has had them all to be honest. Over the last 4 diesels he has had he has ended up with expensive failures happening 1-2 years into them (transmission, head gaskets when they were done by previous owner etc) and quite frankly he just doesn't need one for his uses these days. For example, if injectors go out on a gas truck they are a heck of alot cheaper to get.

We are going to be using my LB7 to tow our 28ft boat around as well as I will be towing my gooseneck and built motor truck around all summer. That said, the 8.1L has proven to be quite decent in terms of economy towing.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
id skip the 8.1 and get a 6.0 gas. way more aftermarket support, parts are way cheaper and way more abundant and its pretty much bulletproof.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
8.1l and economy shouldn't be in the same sentence

You'd think but honestly towing they are respectable. For example, towing a friends trailer while he was waiting for a tcase (02 8.1L) I got 14mpg loaded. Towing the same load/trailer as well as both trucks are the same cab config he got 11.8mpg.

That is the same drive just on different days about a month apart. Load was a 40ft triple axle load trail trailer with 2 gas pulling trucks on it, grossing ~18k trailer weight with fuel etc in the box of the truck and a cooler.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
You'd think but honestly towing they are respectable. For example, towing a friends trailer while he was waiting for a tcase (02 8.1L) I got 14mpg loaded. Towing the same load/trailer as well as both trucks are the same cab config he got 11.8mpg.

That is the same drive just on different days about a month apart. Load was a 40ft triple axle load trail trailer with 2 gas pulling trucks on it, grossing ~18k trailer weight with fuel etc in the box of the truck and a cooler.

I know my 2010 6.0 I had was getting nowhere near that towing 9000lbs at 65mph on level ground. It was closer to 7mpg.

I have a hard time believing the 8.1 got almost 12 as that’s about what my buddies averages on the low side empty. 9ish would be more believable imo.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA

What are you smoking?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
What are you smoking?

I am not smoking anything, just stating what I have personally witnessed here in WI. Same load, same course, similar weather conditions. Both hand calculated based off odometer mileage. Both trucks had speedometers calibrated for appropriate tire sizes.

Last edited:

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
I know my 2010 6.0 I had was getting nowhere near that towing 9000lbs at 65mph on level ground. It was closer to 7mpg.

I have a hard time believing the 8.1 got almost 12 as that’s about what my buddies averages on the low side empty. 9ish would be more believable imo.

I wouldn't have believed it until I saw it happen. No magic involved. I do not recall having a tailwind but I also wasn't paying that much attention either.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
8.1 getting 12mpg heavy loaded?! Was it on the trailer while the real tow rig pulled it?! :rofl: I’ve never seen an 8.1 get anywhere near diesel mpg under the same loads and condition. I compared back to back on a buddies 02 8.1 with this 35ft toyhauler and my setup. We tuned it, different t-stats, intake, long tube headers and full exhaust and he never passed a gas station (best he got towing was 6.5mpg at 70mph).

Year for year though, I’d take a 8.1 over a 6.0. Supercharge it, mild trans build and that thing will take a built/supercharged 6.0 up the same hills and run cooler doing it

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
8.1 getting 12mpg heavy loaded?! Was it on the trailer while the real tow rig pulled it?! :rofl: I’ve never seen an 8.1 get anywhere near diesel mpg under the same loads and condition. I compared back to back on a buddies 02 8.1 with this 35ft toyhauler and my setup. We tuned it, different t-stats, intake, long tube headers and full exhaust and he never passed a gas station (best he got towing was 6.5mpg at 70mph).

Year for year though, I’d take a 8.1 over a 6.0. Supercharge it, mild trans build and that thing will take a built/supercharged 6.0 up the same hills and run cooler doing it

I didn’t think the 8.1 could stand up to much over stock in stock form?