05 lly fuel knocking real bad

02bigstrokin

Sep 9, 2008
My friend called me tonight and his 05 lly is fuel knocking real bad. He said it was running fine all day. He stopped to get a
Baby crib from his friends house, went back out to the truck and when he started it its knocking real bad and has no power. I drove over with the scanner and checked it out a little right before dark. It's already had the updated injector harness fix, there is no chaffed wires at the ficm or alternator bracket, fuel pressure is correct on the scanner, no codes at all, maf is reading correctly. We ran out of daylight and towed it back to his place. Any ideas? He just filled up with fuel so I'm thinking maybe bad fuel? Thought maybe he filled up with gas or the diesel pump had gas in it or something but its not gas. Maybe water? The water in fuel light is not on. Rail pressure sensor is operating correctly also. What am I missing here? Oh and egr is gone. Thanks

02bigstrokin

Sep 9, 2008
Oh yeah and no smoke either while running. Has no power, we had to put in 4 low to get it on the trailer.

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
Definitely sounds like shit fuel, I've had a couple customer trucks, last one was 0630about had to put injectors 6,7, and 8I in it... balance rates were -4 or worse at idle on those 3, it was over-fuelling hard on those 3 and smoking black on slight accelleration and ticked heavily at idle and knocked worse under load, also got fuel in crankcase...

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Really sounds like bad fuel Josh. Drop the tank and check the filter as well for contaminants. I have seen some unbelievable crap come out when getting bad fuel.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

02bigstrokin

Sep 9, 2008
Thanks for the fast responses! I'm going to change filter and run some clean fuel through it tomorrow and see what happens. I'm sure that crappy gas station he stopped at probably just cost him some injectors

02bigstrokin

Sep 9, 2008
The ficm took a shit. Number 1,4,6,7 were dead holes. I guess only
Part of the ficm died. No codes what so ever. New ficm and all is well