04 LB7 headstuds retorque or not ??

merlot

Just what I need
Aug 8, 2014
Connecticut
can anyone tell me if you really need to retorque ARP head studs after running it on a 04 LB7 or I've heard you can cheat and toque them and let sit over night and retorque next day anyone ??

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
ARP claims that if you use their "ultra torque assembly lube", a retorque is not neccesary. Its alot of work, but I personally would do a retorque whether it sits overnight or after the first few heat cycles.

merlot

Just what I need
Aug 8, 2014
Connecticut
OK thanks guys now I need to know what you did for the final torque before I go further, I'm not clear on exactly how to and what the final torque is/procedure

merlot

Just what I need
Aug 8, 2014
Connecticut
yes I have that it says 125 in three steps but is that right ? final torque 125 ? I'm trying to figure out if I did something wrong ,I thought it was clear but I have immediate pressure in the cooling system after getting it back together ?? I took my time on it this is not my first build and I'm like WTF LOL I called ARP before doing it they said 125 final but something is definitely wrong ..I just wanna know what anyone else thats done these studs on a LB7 has done for procedure ..I have to figure out what went wrong or is not right

merlot

Just what I need
Aug 8, 2014
Connecticut
You probably have an injector cup not seated right.
thanks for the ideas im gonna pull it apart and check the cups ,they were like new but i may have missed something in the seating after i see if any coolant is in a cylinder any if any and which one to try to narrow it down

merlot

Just what I need
Aug 8, 2014
Connecticut
You probably have an injector cup not seated right.
yup # 6 injector cup , I pulled the glow plugs and found a little trace of anti freeze on # 6 cylinder glow plug ... well I didn't know to use loctite on them and found a nice carbon trail on # 6 cup cleaned (carb cleaner and a 1 1/4 nylon brush) and put loctite on all of them Red high temp let sit 24 hrs then added antifreeze and all is well :thumb: as a foot note I did the head bolt (ARP studs) in three steps ending at 125 (specs from ARP for a LB7) let sit over night and hit them again I got a little out of the centers mostly and I used the (new lube they have ) I heat cycled it and because I had to reseat/seal all the injector cups I checked the headbolt/studs and not one took any more torque..... and some pics of the tool I made out of a 7/8 OD aluminum cement lag anchor (ground slightly to fit ) and a 7/16 3inch lag bolt taped on one end to prevent separation to remove the cups , it worked perfect and no damage to cups at all
injector cup tool 1.jpg

injector cup tool 2.jpg

injector cup tool 3.jpg

injector cup tool 4.jpg

injector cup tool 5.jpg

Attachments

• injector cup tool 1.jpg
    injector cup tool 1.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 24
  • injector cup tool 2.jpg
    injector cup tool 2.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 22