03 d max how big of a tire can i get

johnjzjz

Apr 10, 2011
my truck is stock and i tow a 28 foot trailer loaded to antique motorcycle swap meets / shows - i have 265 / 16 tires on it now and fuel mileage is awfull i get 8/9 towing with the OD and the tow light on -- 14.5 normally around town

my thinking is 3 or 4 hundred less RPMs at 65 MPH would help big time thanks - jz

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Why disable overdrive? Not enough power to hold it? That would drop your RPMs a lot. I always tow with overdrive on, except if it starts hunting for gears in hills.

Edit: to answer your question (sorry), you can run about 285s stock, and 315s with some trimming. Height is less important. My 315s are 34" tall, but I did some trimming.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

johnjzjz

Apr 10, 2011
i was told by the dealer not to something about the convertor only has one clutch and the strain on it would be too much, being my trailer is close to max tow weight, when i tow the race car with just the tow light and it does fine, the trailer digital brake control with the race car is on 35 with the motorcycle stuff its 70 to stop with no issues an i wrong ???

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I'd never heard of the torque converter clutches having problems at stock power. I never had any problems with mine. Maybe some other people will chime in with their experience.

Larger tires are another possibility. I love my BFGoodrich 315/70R17 tires on H2 rims.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

RedHotGMC

stock
Jan 16, 2012
Northern Utah
Ive never heard of any problems with stock power, 6 dmaxes in my family that have all been on the farm and pulled 26k with overdrive still in with stock power and did just fine. I wouldnt worry about using overdrive while towing unless your in the mountains and its more convenient to keep your rpms up.

johnjzjz

Apr 10, 2011
thank you it looks like 305 on 16 inch rims is a no issue thing so as i need new ones in the spring i will be going that way thanks again - jz