Info: 03 Cummins Injectors

tgebes

Livin' the Dream
Aug 23, 2011
Omaha Nebraska
Hey Guys,

The old man has an 03 dodge diesel that doesnt start when its hot, I am assuming its injectors but we are still diagnosing. Just had a few questions, not real up on the know when it comes to cummins.

Do the common rail 5.9's normally have injector issues? The truck only has ~110k miles on it so it suprised me the injectors are acting up in it. I thought this was more of and only an lb7 problem.

Also my parents are near retirement, what is the cheapest way to get a good set of new injectors in the truck? To give a little context someone told him that he can pull the injectors and have them rebuild (all 6) for around $500. The downside being the truck is left open on the table for a few weeks and you end up with reman injectors.

Last question, are the lbz dmaxs the least problematic for diesel trucks? His truck is a good truck but its an older diesel so fairly maintenance intensive. Wheel bearings, ujoints, and now injectors among other small details. I am thinking of buying him another diesel truck (lbz) and taking the dodge off his hands, if I can reduce the maintenance needed on a truck.

Thanks for the input guys.

bevi

Jan 17, 2010
Nh
I didnt have any problems when i had my lbz only had 75k on it tho. i liked it alot kinda wish i still had it.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Try re-torquing the fuel tubes that run into the cylinder head. They're the short tubes that connect the injector to the injection lines. Remove all 6 injection lines then tighten the fuel tubes to 37ft-lbs. I had a customer with a 5.9 that wouldn't start unless he used either. The tubes were leaking enough to cause it not to build enough rail pressure during cranking speeds.

There wont be a visible leak either as the fuel just leaks into the fuel return channel in the head.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
They have injector problems, but most of the time it isn't until closer to 200k miles. I would be a little leery of $500 remans. Not that all remans are bad. You just need to get them done by a reputable shop.

Bigblk

Sep 22, 2012
Yes they have problems at any miles! Get to dealership and find out which one is causing problems, then replace that one or find a used one on comp d or cummins forum as well as Exergy engineering

'strokeThis_'07

Oct 2, 2009
Laramie, WY
Very common for injectors to go out. The newer updated bodies are supposed to be better.

Don't get remans; they have a bad track record (mine are going at ~12-15k in my 07).

For some reason, the Cummins CR (5.9) seems to have more injector issues than non-LB7 Duramaxes. 6.7 injector failures are almost unheard of, not so 5.9s. Why 5.9 and LB7's have issues? I don't know.

Pull them and send them off to Exergy to be tested. It'll run you about $300; cheap compared to a rebuild due to melted pistons.

How does it start cold? Any white out the pipe?

tgebes

Livin' the Dream
Aug 23, 2011
Omaha Nebraska
Try re-torquing the fuel tubes that run into the cylinder head. They're the short tubes that connect the injector to the injection lines. Remove all 6 injection lines then tighten the fuel tubes to 37ft-lbs. I had a customer with a 5.9 that wouldn't start unless he used either. The tubes were leaking enough to cause it not to build enough rail pressure during cranking speeds.

There wont be a visible leak either as the fuel just leaks into the fuel return channel in the head.

We just got done doing this so we will see if it makes a difference.

How does it start cold? Any white out the pipe?

Its starts up alright when its cold, its been getting worse. Just takes a while cranking it (can be up to like 45 secs before it fires). No white out the exhaust, truck runs good when its running. He has been starting it with ether when its hot.

He dumped a bunch of additive in it for one tank, ran it hard and it cleared up for like a week but now its acting up again.

mudder500

Jun 30, 2010
Do compression check. Had one did sane thing and had weak rings. I replaced 2 sets injectors on my 06 dodge before 50k

tgebes

Livin' the Dream
Aug 23, 2011
Omaha Nebraska

Didnt work... It's gotta have an injector bleeding off... Bummer.