03 3500 duals touching

CHEVYMAN434

May 25, 2010
I just put a set of transforce 265/75/16 on my dually and the drivers side is really close and the passenger side is touching.I allready put 2 spacers in there and there is no room for a third...Anyone know of any longer wheel studs or anything????

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
Take the 2 spacers out, and buy 1.5 or 2" spacers. I run 2" spacers on my 08 with 285/70/17s and have tons of clearance. You should be fine with a 1.5, but you will have to trim the end of your studs off.

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
Wheeladapter.com is the only spacers id trust on a truck as heavy as ours. Fred is the owners name, real nice guy, and makes the best product period.

Schwinn68

little gearhead
Jan 9, 2008
Minooka IL
I have personally seen the cheap eBay aluminum spacers hold up to serious abuse and weight and hold up just fine. Definitely get spacers of some kind though

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
If you're going to run spacers in my opinion I would not cheap out. But that's me.. anything less then two inches you will have to cut your wheel studs. Running more then one spacer like you are is dangerous. With spacers and that wide tire they are going to stick out past the tubs. Post some pictures up when your done I'd like to see what it looks like if you don't mind.

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
I have personally seen the cheap eBay aluminum spacers hold up to serious abuse and weight and hold up just fine. Definitely get spacers of some kind though

I run cheap aluminum spacers on my puller, and they will hold up to some serious abuse, but when you put heavy loads, a lot of highway driving, and heat to them, you are pushing your luck. Ive seen them crack with nothing more than a 2500lbs trailer, but it was a hot day, and a long trip on hot roads.

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
Heres some pics of mine with 285/70/17s and 2" spacers. I almost went 1.5 but didnt want them to be close while hauling heavy loads, if i had to do it again i would go with 1.5s. I used Freds spacers.

Attachments

• dually2.jpg
    dually2.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 85
  • dually1.jpg
    dually1.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 73

Schwinn68

little gearhead
Jan 9, 2008
Minooka IL
They have been on a dump truck for two years that not only is overloaded in the bed but then also gets to pull a heavy trailer with a skids tear on it. The truck then gets a salt box and plows snow all winter.

CHEVYMAN434

May 25, 2010
Thanks

Thanks guys.I found a 4x4 shop that carries em local.They were closed today,but will be there tomo.....

madmatt

Apr 12, 2009
"the mecca"
www.facebook.com
I've seen guys run big tires, no spacers and smash the tires together with an impact. Not suggesting it but two of them have ran like this for years and haul loads daily with no issues.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
To be honest with you that is just crazy! Sure you can get away with it but at some point it could have devastating effects. Anything can happen towing heavy ,loaded , build up enough heat and bam a tire lets go. Lose control and not only injure yourself but other people. NUTS. Why take the chance? And we wonder why there are so many laws that impede our life's it's because of crap like this that people have no common sense and have to have the government get involved . Everyone should know that running over size tires with out taking necessary steps to ensure safety is dumb!

madmatt

Apr 12, 2009
"the mecca"
www.facebook.com
like i said,, i'm not suggesting it or saying it's smart but some crazy ****s pull it off and have for years. They did say if they are really close or even just barely touching that was worse then being smashed together because they'll rub and wear holes in each other. I'm not sure what size Jason has on his 05 Dodge 3500 but he pulls his pulling truck, skid steer and other construction equipment daily and has for years without an issue.

Personally ,, I'd never do it.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
It was no dig on you just in general that people out there do dumb stuff. There is no doubt that you can do it and people do but there is always that one time that something really bad could happen. I certainly don't want that on my back.

Like I said no dig on you I seen you said you would never do it nor would I. I would either run a narrower tire or spacers. I have found that anything over a 235/85 they will rub. Even some 235's when loaded will bulge the side wall and touch. So what I do is air them up and get a decent separation and keep a good eye on them. You gotta remember when hitting bumps in the road they flex also.

CHEVYMAN434

May 25, 2010
spacers

Well this has been real fun trying to figure out which spacers to get.The steel ones from fred would be my natural choice but i was not expecting to have to buy anything else after getting the tires.Just dont have the money to get his.So,with that bein said i have been calling around and getting mixed signals on the spacers.Seems that the outer wheel may come loose with them on the truck.They have told me the wheel is only centered with the lug nuts..I dont really know which way to go here but i guess i have to have a set or just take the tires back to the tire store...could anyone recomend a alluminum spacer that fits right and wont let the wheel fall off...lol

MrUPS

Mar 18, 2009
Northwest Pa
That's the nice thing about Fred's spacers. There hub centric. (doubt thats spelled right) They come with a little steel ring that centers the outer wheel. I also checked all over when I got my spacers and everyone told me the same thing. You get what you pay for. I haul my wife and kids around in that truck not to mention its a 7500 lb. missile if a wheel flies off. I know its a few extra bucks BUT it will be a drop in the bucket if a cheap spacer breaks. Spend the extra money. Its VERY VERY well worth it.

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
Like i said, i run both, cheap aluminum ones on my puller, and freds on my haul truck. After running the cheap ones, theres a reason i buy good ones for my daily driver. Just my opinion.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
The last two post give you all excellent advice anyone needs. Specifically about the hub centering which our wheels are .

Rockrunner

New to the LLY
Nov 7, 2013
Roxborough CO
So what is the cost for a 1.5 0r 2" spacer from Fred? Just pulled my summer tires of no need to us them there but my winter rims are the stock 05 and the tires rub together. Guy before me just ran them that way. I want to buy new tires but not this year so spacers it is, most likely 2" since I don't want to cut the studs for summer tires.

How do I get a hold of Fred?? Thanks for the info and will be posting my own question in the tire section in a few.