02 lb7 battery light and guages

Rerywilson277

2002 LB7
Nov 7, 2013
Havre de Grace, Maryland
Hello all, i apologize if this is in the wrong area as this is my first post.
I have a 2002 Chevy lb7 duramax, the problem is that the battery light display is on in the message center as well as the security display and the low fuel display. Also, the engine temp gauge and fuel gauge reads zero and i know i have half a tank of fuel. this is also the same when the truck is running
So its:
Battery light
security light
low fuel light
fuel gauge
engine temp gauge

the batteries were bad so i thought that might be the problem and was going to replace them anyway so i bought two diehard agm batteries. and the problem did not go away, so i took it to my local shop to have them reset all the codes. and this is the weird part, when he plugged in the scanner all the lights went off, the temp and fuel gauges started working, and there were no codes to read. as if there were no issues at all. then as soon as he unplugged it it went back to all the same issues. we tried a couple of times with the same results.
so i dont know if there may be a short somewhere or a fuse but i have no clue what is causing this.
If someone knows what the problem is that would be great. thanks in advance.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Sounds like a bad ground or broken wire.
It would be worth checking the fuses, but also look for any wires that move when the OBD2 plug is moved. There may be a problem in there.

Rerywilson277

2002 LB7
Nov 7, 2013
Havre de Grace, Maryland
okay so i took off, sanded and re ground the ground under the drivers side door, behind the front bumper on drivers side, and the braided one on the firewall. plus i checked all of the fuses. no luck. so as i was looking all over in frustration i found a connector by the fuel filter that has nothing plugged into it but i dont see any wires loose or hanging down. what is this connector for?
I need to get this thing fixed but am running out of ideas.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Did you do your own wiring on the radio? Possibly grounded/shorted something you shouldnt have. Recheck that first.

Rerywilson277

2002 LB7
Nov 7, 2013
Havre de Grace, Maryland
okay i can get a picture if need be but i just took a look under the dash. there is a blue wire that runs behind where the flasher unit is and there is a red wire spliced into it that doesn't connect to anything, it has a c prong end on it.