02 Duramax injectors

Dirtyryan

Nov 11, 2018
New to Duramax just bought an 02 with 50,000 miles. Unfortunately I’ve become a victim to the injectors, diesel is in my crankcase. I’m new to Duramax but I have a 99 7.3, and an 03 6.0 that has required some work over the years. Pretty mechanically handy. Ive been reading and researching which injectors to buy.

Diesel logic offers a complete refurbished set for 799.00

Pensacola diesel offers “brand new” Bosch injectors and kit for 1999.00

I’m willing to spend the $ on the new ones but is it worth it? Will the refurbished set last just as long? I’m really not wanting to get into the heads again for at least another 100k miles. Any suggestions help.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
Please please please don't buy from any of those places. You are pissing your money and time away and you will be changing them again. Call up LDS and pick up a set or go straight to GM for them. You get what you pay for. You buy Pensacola injectors you will be lucky if it even starts. Where are you located?

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
Lincoln or gm dealer all the way. Lincoln is just a lot cheaper. They are genuine bosch rebuilds. I thought you couldn't buy brand new Bosch injectors for lb7. All rebuilds with new parts. I also bought new high pressure lines. I didn't try to clean mine. I'm on my 3rd set bought from Brent at lds. Zero problems. And he's always able to give advice if you need it.

Dirtyryan

Nov 11, 2018
Pensacola diesel offers a kit with brand new Bosch injectors. Why steer away from these places? Poor rebuild quality? I’ve heard some good/bad reviews but mostly good. I’m in Southern California unfortunately, and a little lost on what to do. I called the local dealer and they want almost 500$ a pop.

I can’t see just replacing 1or2 injectors while I’ve got everything off and the heads apart. I’d rather buy all 8, and glow plugs that way I don’t have to get in there again for a while. I just hate buying things from the dealer that doubles the price. Any good sites will help me out. I’ve got everything apart I’m just waiting and researching what to put in

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
What is it with people and Pensacola? I cant believe they are still in business.

If you want to argue, go ahead and buy from them. But we all know better based on 17 or so years of hearing the nightmares people have had going that way, or as some have found -- actually having to deal with them after thinking, "Naw, they cant be THAT bad, can they?" If you want to do the job twice, or three times, go ahead. We know what works from experience.

Hell, ask TheFermanator about his nightmare with them sometime.....holy hell.

Last edited:

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Trust us. We have been around long enough and seen a lot of Pensacola nightmares on this sight. Go with Lincoln. There’s a reason they’re more expensive. Because they’re real.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Pensacola diesel offers a kit with brand new Bosch injectors. Why steer away from these places? Poor rebuild quality? I’ve heard some good/bad reviews but mostly good. I’m in Southern California unfortunately, and a little lost on what to do. I called the local dealer and they want almost 500$ a pop.

I can’t see just replacing 1or2 injectors while I’ve got everything off and the heads apart. I’d rather buy all 8, and glow plugs that way I don’t have to get in there again for a while. I just hate buying things from the dealer that doubles the price. Any good sites will help me out. I’ve got everything apart I’m just waiting and researching what to put in

Price them through Lincoln Diesel Speciaties..

Pensacola are cheap because they dont replace half the crap that's needed. So you'll be still doing a injector here and there. We have a local shop that installs cheap Pensacola junk. Let's just say we usually get to replace them with Bosch after a year

Dirtyryan

Nov 11, 2018
Ok thanks for the advice, I looked up Lincoln website and they aren’t much more of a price difference. I just don’t know a lot about these injectors and kind of figured hey a refurb is a refurb. Evidently there is. Also going to add the cat fuel filter with it. Advice on good glow plugs? I know Bosch is a no no for my 7.3, how do they work out with the 6.6?

Why are these injectors so sensitive? I can’t believe there hasn’t been an updated affordable direct replacement for these pos

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
"Affordable" is relative. Lincoln sells the SAC style LB7 injectors which are showing promise. Best to call and talk to Brent about them. BTW, diesel logic is just as bad as Pensacola.

Check the GP module first for a blown relay, and also check the bus bars connecting the injectors together for rust through (assuming you have a regular-emissions LB7).

Dirtyryan

Nov 11, 2018
Gp module? Is that above the fuel filter that the two fuel lines go into? Again sorry, a little new to the Duramax

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
What is it with people and Pensacola? I cant believe they are still in business.

If you want to argue, go ahead and buy from them. But we all know better based on 17 or so years of hearing the nightmares people have had going that way, or as some have found -- actually having to deal with them after thinking, "Naw, they cant be THAT bad, can they?" If you want to do the job twice, or three times, go ahead. We know what works from experience.

Hell, ask TheFermanator about his nightmare with them sometime.....holy hell.

Please don't, I don't need to set my ulcer off. You get what you pay for, and its a miracle they're still around. Last I checked there reputation was even worse with the Ford forums. And several have discovered there "new" injectors are not what they are leading you on to believe. Seen some pics of them years back, and they came in plastic bags with no markings what so ever.

And there has been NUMEROUS improvements to these injectors through the years. Problem is the vco design that was most likely chosen for emissions reasons, has an inherent flaw in it in a common rail application. They work great when they're not holding back 23K psi all the time, but its a different ball game for common rail vs a standard pop injector.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Gp module? Is that above the fuel filter that the two fuel lines go into? Again sorry, a little new to the Duramax
If its a fed emissions truck, the glow plug module on the drivers side rear on top of the valve cover. You are describing the FICM....fuel injection control module.
Start searching and reading.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Ok thanks for the advice, I looked up Lincoln website and they aren’t much more of a price difference. I just don’t know a lot about these injectors and kind of figured hey a refurb is a refurb. Evidently there is. Also going to add the cat fuel filter with it. Advice on good glow plugs? I know Bosch is a no no for my 7.3, how do they work out with the 6.6?

Why are these injectors so sensitive? I can’t believe there hasn’t been an updated affordable direct replacement for these pos

Stick with OEM Acdelco or Racor filters. Cat filter does no have a water separator

Dirtyryan

Nov 11, 2018
I’m almost positive it’s the injectors, there was so much diesel in the crankcase it started to leak out of the overfill tube on my way home. The cars behind me must have been pissed when they hit there wipers.

After researching everyone says to replace the fuel lines. Is there any way to just clean them out? I know I’ve ran clr and sea foam in previous vehicles to clean the lines and it worked fine

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
They aren't just dirty like on a gas car-- they will be corroded. If they are pitted badly enough, they won't seal. Plus, loose rust/scale can flake off the inside and ruin your new injectors.

I've been able to reuse fuel lines before, but as the LB7s are getting up in age, fewer and fewer are in good enough shape to reuse. If they haven't been replaced before, it will almost certainly need it. A set of lines seems to be good for 10 years or so, if you seal them up with RTV every time you do injectors.

Dirtyryan

Nov 11, 2018
Just picked up brand new Bosch injectors, install kit, and cat fuel filter through Lincoln diesel for 2309.00
FYI Apparently Bosch started making brand new injectors again 6months ago, the core charge is only 150$ for all 8 since you are buying a new product. Fingers crossed for a 100k on these injectors. Thanks for all the advice

Just one more question, the fuel lines from the top of the heads... are they a pain to clean? Should I just buy brand new ones? Again my truck only has 50,000 miles.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Just one more question, the fuel lines from the top of the heads... are they a pain to clean? Should I just buy brand new ones? Again my truck only has 50,000 miles.
It is less of a miles thing and more of a time thing. You'll know when you pull them off. If the sealing surface is pitted and rusty, probably not much you can do. If the inside of the pipes are corroded or flaking off, you need new ones.

I've had about 50% of the injector jobs have lines able to be cleaned. I'd pull your lines off now and see what you find. Then you can order new ones if needed.

Something to be aware of is the "remanufactured" lines from Lincoln Diesel are just re-plated old used garbage, so the sealing surface is shiny but still pitted/uneven. I got a set, and 2 of the 8 leaked badly, plus the inside diameter of the pipes is reduced from the plating process. Ended up having to get new ones. It isn't worth the cost savings IMO. Either clean yours (if they are salvageable), or get new ones.