01 lb7 trans vs 03 lb7

dirtylb7

slowly but in the process
Oct 29, 2010
utah
Difference between 01-02 lb7 vs 03-04 lb7 transmission?
I'm really asking will an 03 lb7 trans work in my 01 lb7?

dirtylb7

Oct 29, 2010
utah
Bell housing has all bolted up just fine. Problem I'm having is to hit drive I have to shift the truck into 3rd and then back up to drive for it to work . I have replaced the nsbu switch still same problem truck will drive just fine after I go from 3rd back up into drive so I dunno if I have a broken wire or what's going on with it. Also on my gauge cluster when I shift it all the way down to 1st my cluster reads 2nd but the trans it's self is in 1st but if I pull the two bolts out of the nsbu switch and turn the switch a inch my cluster will read 1st as the trans is still in 1st.. Any help woulp be greatly appreciated guys!!

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Sounds like you made a classic mistake. You didn't deburr the shift shaft before you put the new NSBU on. There will be a flat spot on the end of the shaft where the shift arm hooks up, and if you don't deburr it you WILL gouge the inside of the new NSBU and have the problem you describe. As for differences, if you go to GM they will sell you the new style trans for an 01-early 03 truck. It plugs right in, and with the adapter fittings the cooler lines hook right up.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
All LB7 valve bodies will interchange. G solenoid was never lit up in the TCM. '04 LLY and 8.1 gas TCM's were programmed to look for the G solenoid.

dirtylb7

Oct 29, 2010
utah
Mike any suggestions? Went and got another nsbu switch cleaned up the shaft put it all back together still same problem will not grab drive unless I take it down to 3rd and shift it back up to drive on the dash cluster.