Question: 01 duramax?

bevi

Jan 17, 2010
Nh
Im going to look at a 2001 duramax with 50k on it. are their any known problems with this truck i should look for?

Chris611

Jul 14, 2007
Knoxville, Iowa
The first thing that comes to mind is 50k on a 2001 duramax. I'd make sure that is correct or sounds legit.

Biggest issue would be the injectors. There is an extended warrenty for these, however a 2001 won't qualify for that, but you should be able to get the service records for the truck (see the VIN Check section of the forum) and see if they were replaced under warrenty.

Otherwise just look it over good and figure on putting a little $ in it since it's almost 9 years old (brakes, shocks, fluids, etc...)

Hope that helps.

If the miles are legit, nice find...

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
The first thing that comes to mind is 50k on a 2001 duramax. I'd make sure that is correct or sounds legit.

Biggest issue would be the injectors. There is an extended warrenty for these, however a 2001 won't qualify for that, but you should be able to get the service records for the truck (see the VIN Check section of the forum) and see if they were replaced under warrenty.

Otherwise just look it over good and figure on putting a little $ in it since it's almost 9 years old (brakes, shocks, fluids, etc...)

Hope that helps.

If the miles are legit, nice find...

Oh, it very well could be legit. My step father and his brother both have 01 8.1L Sierras that are mostly "Garage Queens". My Step fathers probably has over 50k, but if my uncles has 40k, I'd be surprised. Heck, I think I had more miles on my 04 after 6 months than he had on his 01. Just because a vehicle has low miles doesn't mean it's not legit; I'd hold off on the raising suspicion unless something else raises a flag; Bevi, you might want to get the VIN and have it run here to see what it brings up.

Chris611

Jul 14, 2007
Knoxville, Iowa
Oh, it very well could be legit. My step father and his brother both have 01 8.1L Sierras that are mostly "Garage Queens". My Step fathers probably has over 50k, but if my uncles has 40k, I'd be surprised. Heck, I think I had more miles on my 04 after 6 months than he had on his 01. Just because a vehicle has low miles doesn't mean it's not legit; I'd hold off on the raising suspicion unless something else raises a flag; Bevi, you might want to get the VIN and have it run here to see what it brings up.

Good point. Can't wait for the day when I can afford a truck just to let it sit in the garage and not drive it. :D We've always put 15-25k miles a year on a vehicle, so an '01 with 50k is unheard of around here.

Later

Last edited:

JMDuramaxLB7

YOU SAID MEMBER!!!
Jun 3, 2007
Missouri
Good point. Can't wait for the day when I can afford a truck just to let it sit in the garage and not drive it. :D We've always put 15-25k miles a year on a vehicle, so an '01 with 50k is unheard of around here.

Later

25k a year is the norm for me also...

JMK777

16's, but i keep em clean
Mar 20, 2008
Moss Beach
My 01 has 95k on it I got it with 45k in 05 shortely after I got it the injectors went out on it gm replaced all 8 under a extended warentey. I herd that gm extended the warentey to 10 years and 200k. I could be wrong

PhilsLB7

Way Better Than Facebook
Jun 29, 2009
Tennessee
I received a letter from GM the first time they extended the injector warranty but I haven't received another letter showing it was extended to 10 years/200k miles. If you find out more information on this, please let us know.

1hotduramax

Dec 14, 2008
Extended to 10 years would be sweet. I have a 2001 with 120,000 miles injectors are still in spec. , but you never know when they will go.

JMDuramaxLB7

YOU SAID MEMBER!!!
Jun 3, 2007
Missouri
Last i knew it was still 7 years/200k. I still have a little less than a year left on my 04 as it was sold in November of 03. Mine were replaced in dec of 08 with 105k on the clock and it now has 131k on it. It would be nice if they extended it to 10 years though.

Vrabel

TOYAHOLIC
May 22, 2008
Hewitt, NJ
If milage is legit, take a real good look underneath. 'cause sitting can be worse than milage depending where its parked.

Chris611

Jul 14, 2007
Knoxville, Iowa
If milage is legit, take a real good look underneath. 'cause sitting can be worse than milage depending where its parked.

Also check the engine compartment. I've seen and worked on a few vehicles that have sat around alot and the mice/squires get in the engine compartment and eat through hoses and air/vaccum lines. I had an '02 Dmax sitting for a month or so and the mice took the firewall insulation and built a nest under the electrical center on the drivers side fender.

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
Also check the engine compartment. I've seen and worked on a few vehicles that have sat around alot and the mice/squires get in the engine compartment and eat through hoses and air/vaccum lines. I had an '02 Dmax sitting for a month or so and the mice took the firewall insulation and built a nest under the electrical center on the drivers side fender.

I had mice chew threw my firewall padding and build a nest in the valley. I dont put but maybe 3000 miles a year on mine so it sits alot.

eds04max

May 7, 2008
Landis, N.C.
Mice in the duct-work.........:eek: It doesn't take them long to start either.
I bought a high mileage 01' last year..........great truck!! I would not hesitate with a low mileage 01' if all else checks out. Good luck.

bevi

Jan 17, 2010
Nh
We didnt even make it to the 01 the truck was for my buddy and he feel in love with a 03 hd gas job i tried to talk him out of it but he would listen!:(