ZF6 Fluid Cooler

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Anyone run one? It was recommended to me this weekend. Says it'll greatly help with clutch engagement and more importantly disengagement and thereby help to not burn up a clutch by dragging it all the time.

Was I fed a load of dung or could there be some credibility to it? :confused:

Colt

Jul 23, 2010
Keeping your foot off the clutch is always the thing to do. Riding a comp type clutch just plays hell with it. Stock can tolerate more but still it's a bad habit. Picture what the throwout bearing is doing with your foot going in and out while you drive and it's trying to engage or disengage so all the plate and discs get hot or scarred for a simple say it. Shift and put your foot on the floor. These clutches cost so much in what prices I see for the types sold on all uses. Old truck driver tip I got 45 yrs. ago so I live by it on any clutch. Racing get on and off speed shifting is another deal I don't know how to coach that very good.

jon5212

Oct 13, 2010
The only thing I've seen on Camaros with the T-56 is a fluid pump that has a sump at the bottom and a feed that goes into the front of the case. It's used to keep the front part of the transmission lubricated when you do a hard launch and all the fluid goes to the back of the transmission. Never heard of a cooler used.

Jun 22, 2008
Nebraska
Fords run trans coolers I believe and if I could find a way to run one I would. I've peeled the teeth off of 2 input shafts inside the tranny :eek: and if you look at the pic's I posted on DP you'll it's from heat :mad:. If you overheat then bad stuff happens.

maxaholic

Dec 6, 2008
Central, Texas
Well I was proven wrong. :rofl: But if you were going to put a cooler on a manual trans you might as well put one on the front and rear diffs. Same thing is happening inside there too.

Jun 22, 2008
Nebraska
The econemy did get John :(. He was completely out of business last I talked to him last spring :(

I'm thinking they are pretty important after stripping 2 inputs due to heat. I've overheated the rear diff too but never broken the gears.

John (Deadeye over on the DP) used to sell one, and IICR their are some over there running them.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=313329

It seems that Deadeye and Dynadroit Diesel have fell off the face of the earth. The economy might have got him.

jc

maxaholic

Dec 6, 2008
Central, Texas
The econemy did get John :(. He was completely out of business last I talked to him last spring :(

I'm thinking they are pretty important after stripping 2 inputs due to heat. I've overheated the rear diff too but never broken the gears.

Has anyone else ever stripped the input gears. I know I never have and I was at the same hp level as you. My tq was even 200ft lbs more than yours. IMHO there had to be something else at fault.

I will say this though. When we were putting my last clutch in I had found out that I beat the hell out my input on the clutch side.

Jun 22, 2008
Nebraska
One was in my 01 and one was in my 03. Had nothing to do with power on my 03 cause it "might" be at 450hp. I was pulling a pass out in Wyo with about 16K behind me and went to downshift and got a horrible noise,then everything locked up :mad: This is inside the trans where I'm having issues Shane,not where the clutch rides on the input :( I've worn one input out like you're talking too but these broken teeth were inside trans.

Has anyone else ever stripped the input gears. I know I never have and I was at the same hp level as you. My tq was even 200ft lbs more than yours. IMHO there had to be something else at fault.

I will say this though. When we were putting my last clutch in I had found out that I beat the hell out my input on the clutch side.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
This guy did mention that heat/excessive were what killed the stock clutch due to the hot fluid temps causing the clutch to drag a little even in neutral.

JMDuramaxLB7

YOU SAID MEMBER!!!
Jun 3, 2007
Missouri
When the fluid in the tranny is warm would'nt the tranny spin easier with less drag than if it were cold like at start up? Saying it drags more when hot makes no sense to me. If it is overheated and about to lock up yes, but not at a normal operating temp. I had a 6.5 with a 5 speed that locked up and it did'nt matter if it was in neutral, clutch pushed in or out, it was in gear... lol...