Upgraded Factory Speakers

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Title says it... I'd like some suggestions on good speakers to upgrade the factory ones... I was thinking of MB Quartz but have absolutely ZERO experience with anything related to stereos...

Ultimately, I want an aftermarket nav/DVD in-dash head (need recommendations for this - might not hurt to have backup camera compatibility, MP3 compatible, XM and/or Sirius ready), upgraded factory speakers and a sub box under the back seat with room for enough amp(s) to drive it all properly. I'm not looking to rattle the neighbors windows, just some good quality sound at elevated levels. None of this distorting BS! :D

This isn't ahppening time soon but some suggestions of things to start sourcing might not be a bad idea, hence the post. :D

C-ya

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
If it helps... my truck is an 02 LS. It doesn't have Bose. Just a reg. in-dash CD player from the General. ;)

Figured I'd throw in some tweeters somewhere as well... get the best sound with them mounted on the a-pillar so the sound projects back into the cabin??? That's just a guess...

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Things I'd like to know from this thread....

--Are there any wiring kits specifically for wiring in the head unit to this truck? PN
--Brand/Model for each kind of speaker - sub, oe replacements, tweeters... ex. subs may be better from a different brand than the factory replacement speakers which might also be different than the tweeters
--How to properly determine what gauge wire to use for each speaker-type
--Generic version for wiring in general... like wire from head unit to amp to speakers. or whatever is correct
--what type of amp(s) will I need and suggested brand(s) and model(s)

That should be a start. :D

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Things I'd like to know from this thread....
Well, here's what I can tell ya:
--Are there any wiring kits specifically for wiring in the head unit to this truck? PN They make a little module thingy that ties in your factory wiring to the aftermarket head unit. They also make one so you can keep your steering wheel volume control, The on-star stuff, and factory gm security system.
--Brand/Model for each kind of speaker - sub, oe replacements, tweeters... ex. subs may be better from a different brand than the factory replacement speakers which might also be different than the tweetersThe BOSE system in these trucks is pretty good, but lets face it-there's always room for improvement over stock. I personally went with HERTZ audio all around due to it's good quality sound and it's price range.
--How to properly determine what gauge wire to use for each speaker-type Your Amp depending on what size it is will determine the size of cable you will need to use. Be sure to keep your ground cable the same size diameter as your power cable. As far as what RCA's to use usually it's best to follow the same rules as the ones that apply to your house.
--Generic version for wiring in general... like wire from head unit to amp to speakers. or whatever is correct
--what type of amp(s) will I need and suggested brand(s) and model(s) Again I went with an Audioson 6 channel amp as I am also going to be running all of my mid's and tweets through the amp. For straight up, dirty, low down, grimey hard driving amplifiers, I would recomend a 2 or 4 channel Rockford with a built in low/high pass setting. Don't forget to buy a stiffening cap.

That should be a start. :D

May the grace of God be with you on your quest. Hopefully I didn't confuse ya!:D It has been a few years since i quit following this stuff and keeping up with the changes!!:D

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
May the grace of God be with you on your quest. Hopefully I didn't confuse ya!:D It has been a few years since i quit following this stuff and keeping up with the changes!!:D

excellent post. what's a stiffening cap?

Crutchfield is loaded with info. and pretty helpful. Shits high ain't it? :eek: :( :p

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
:cool2:Whose HIGH??:cool2:

A stiffening cap is just a F off Big capacitor that you wire your power supply (+ wire) through. Basically, as your Subs draw a lot of wattage as they cycle, it causes your voltage to spike up and down. The cap acts as a accumulator so to speak to keep the power supply constant and keep your headlights from going dim/bright/dim/bright.

:eek:fftopic:
On a side note, did you know that the russian translation of what they call a battery is accumulator. Makes things tough when you get a coil tubing unit work order saying the accumulators need replacing. (For those who don't know, accumulators are just nitrogen charged bladders in a hydraulic system-coil units have 5 or 6 0f these)