LBZ: Ticking Noise when on the Throttle...

Z71HULK

Jun 29, 2011
San Angelo, TX
Alright guys, I'm getting a weird ticking noise from my truck when hard on the throttle, it almost sounds like an exhaust leak but I only hear it when in the truck and getting on the throttle. Is there anything else I should check out? I did a search and didn't really find what I was looking for, also if this is the wrong section, please feel free to move it. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dusty

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Noise

Check to make sure you don't have a injector starting to leak under boost. It will sound like a exhaust leak. Start it up and spray the injectors with water/soap and see if it bubbles up or blows it away.

Z71HULK

Jun 29, 2011
San Angelo, TX
Alright I may give that a shot. I've had people in the backseat and they say it seems to be coming from the rear of the truck. It's really hard for me to tell. But thanks for the info.

2DMaxx

May 27, 2011
long island
What was the outcome of that I have almost the same thing happening to mine , sounds like it might be coming from the cat ?

twister773

livin the dream
Apr 14, 2007
central coast
Mine was blown head gasket and a bent valve when I had ticking under hard throttle but it was coming from the front/sides of the truck

leehype

Drunk with a Jeep problem
Aug 16, 2012
Almost every ticking under throttle I have had was a broken ring and pinion. I have had a cummins get a tick, but you could see where the head gasket failed, and was a hissing/popping sound. You can chip part of the ring off enough to make a noise, and have enough meat in the gears left to drive just fine. I've had it happen quite a few times on tractors, once on my jeep, and a few other trucks.

I would recommend pulling the diff cover and checking the ring gear.

Something to look for is if it get's faster with speed, yet not relevant to engine speed. If it is the R&P, it should get quieter, or harder to hear at higher speeds.