Synthetic vs. Conventional> What fluids do you guys use?

TannerJP

Trying to blow stuff up.
Dec 4, 2008
Houston, Tx
Information on engine oil change interval for Synthetics:
I'm no expert and haven't been doing oil analysis yet, but from what i understand, with the ULSD on the market today, you are perfectly fine goin the longer intervals on synthetics.

Considering the overall success of delo i think the only reason to run synthetics would be extended life cycles.

You can look up what results others have gotten out of their synthetics. People have had Amsoil with 20k miles on it tested and still pass soot, viscosity and other tests (in one extreme test a person reported ~40k miles old oil testing safe for next interval).
It depends on what you fuel with and what kind of performance mods you have, sure. But for 80-90 percent of dmax owners the extended cycle is fine.

The fool proof (mostly) process:
Add Amsoil (or any other synthetic certified for diesel engines).
500 miles before your typical oil change(5k miles) mail off a sample for analysis (you can buy a pack of ten analyses for $100). Use the first 4 on the first oil change (one at 5k then 10k then 15k then 20k to ease your 5k changing mind :p) and the remaining 6 every 10k miles until you have a trend in results.

The analysis will let you get the most out of your oil change. With the avg cost for the analyses of 25 dollars per change, you still save money w/ synthetics (1 synthetic change per every 3-4 reg)
Keep in mind you can use results from many others and accept that 10k is ok and test every 5k miles after 10k which is basically saving you the cost of the oil change you would normally do every 5k miles.

*Not really helpful information* You can always add whatif's. Like whatif there's a nuclear holocaust and i can't get uoa's or fresh oil and now i have old oil which i must drive around on for my zombie, radioactive, mutated human patrol and my truck breaks down and i get mauled by mutated elephant with nightvision and three heads in the dark. The obvious answer is A. Carry a shotgun. B. know how to make your own high explosives and C. keep a 55 gallon drum of your favorite honey in the garage.

blackstone labs does analysis for a lot of dmax owners.
There's usually local places that are easy to work with as well (POLARIS labs in Houston)

Information on T-case alternatives (for Rainmain):
Mike L. can give you more information on this if you need. It's sourced from him (mostly... i may have added some of my own input, so feel free to correct me).
Basically, Rockland Standard Gear did a test and followed with a write up describing a lubrication problem on ~07.5-older 4wd GM t-cases. They were vaporizing the 2qts of dex III atf due to high heat buildup. The solution from GM was the synthetic blue stuff. The prior solution from RSG was 2.5 qts of 5-30 synthetic. To fill with 2.5 quarts, the last half quart needs to go in through the speed sensor port. Since the sensor has an 18mm-hex plastic housing, be very carefully not to break it.
You should be able to run the factory specified service interval with this fluid (20k miles?).

Last edited:

DieselDaze

Midnight Maniac
Oct 26, 2008
Tulsa, OK
OVERLOAD>>

sometimes the vast information on the internet can FRY my tiny little brain....
I've been digging around and come across some testing done on oils.. for example: in one test a container split in two, one side typical gear oil, the other side synthetic, an eggbeater attached to both.. the synthetic didn't draw up the beater to the top like the conventional did..

Whats up with that?? that means GM recommended synthetic in our differentials that DOESN'T lubricate it properly... now I DON'T believe everyTHING on the net, but I will try a couple of my own tests, but this test if its true clearly shows the synthetic FAILS !!!

Also, Synthetic motor oil in our engines does NOT heat up fast enough, not allowing the pressure to build like it should. therefore (at least this go around) im going conventional again.. until i read further more into this thing.. here is the site i did some of my mindless observations on..www.bobistheoilguy.com

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
I like the idea of the John Deere +50 15w 40. Called the dealer today and they said it was CI-4 rated (not CJ) which is what I am looking for. It was $39.04 for 2.5 gal and it is mineral oil, so I believe this is what will be in my truck next oil change. Rotella in there now and the CJ rating has me concerned.

03 D-max

Honorary "Tosser"
Apr 29, 2008
Lowville NY
I like the idea of the John Deere +50 15w 40. Called the dealer today and they said it was CI-4 rated (not CJ) which is what I am looking for. It was $39.04 for 2.5 gal and it is mineral oil, so I believe this is what will be in my truck next oil change. Rotella in there now and the CJ rating has me concerned.

:hug: welcome to the club

TannerJP

Trying to blow stuff up.
Dec 4, 2008
Houston, Tx
OVERLOAD>>
#1.
sometimes the vast information on the internet can FRY my tiny little brain....
I've been digging around and come across some testing done on oils.. for example: in one test a container split in two, one side typical gear oil, the other side synthetic, an eggbeater attached to both.. the synthetic didn't draw up the beater to the top like the conventional did..
#2.
Whats up with that?? that means GM recommended synthetic in our differentials that DOESN'T lubricate it properly... now I DON'T believe everyTHING on the net, but I will try a couple of my own tests, but this test if its true clearly shows the synthetic FAILS !!!
#3.
Also, Synthetic motor oil in our engines does NOT heat up fast enough, not allowing the pressure to build like it should. therefore (at least this go around) im going conventional again.. until i read further more into this thing.. here is the site i did some of my mindless observations on..www.bobistheoilguy.com

#1. The viscosity is to blame here. The synthetic compared couldn't have had the viscosity of the schaefers. Additionally, how many diff's operate at room temp? I'll bet the synthetic operates at least as effectively at operating temperature.
#2.GM doesn't just write perscriptions. They do physical testing an so do many other companies and organizations that don't even profit from the results.
#3. How much faster does conventional oil heat up? I wonder if that's more proportional to the increased wear or amount of air in conventional oils vs. synthetic. I drive my diesel only 7 miles to work everyday. The coolant reaches operating temperature by the time i hit the off-ramp (faster if it's not 30F in the morning).
Finally, Lubrication is way more simple than egg-beaters.
It's simply a matter of pressure between two plates. The idea is to create a fluid spring capable of keeping the two metals from touching. If you have the proper viscosity at the proper pressure, you have lubrication. The best one is the one that doesn't degrade (maintains it's viscosity) under high temperatures and repeated mechanical cycles.

If you are talking about gear trains, there is no fluid pressure required. All you have to do if has lubricating particles that are ferromagnetic and don't break (synthetics are better at this almost always). It doesn't matter how much is on the gear (or egg-beater) because it's all gonna get smashed off except for the last little microscopic bit that is magnetized to the surface. So do you want a synthetic that only lubricates a bit more than necessary or something else that sticks like mud and slows you down?

no-bueano

Diesel Fanatic
Nov 29, 2008
Petaluma
diesel and gas oil are different.

engine oil in the transfercase is something that many are doing. I still go old fashioned and run trans fluid in there or i will step it up and run the blue stuff from gm.

if youa re looking into amsoil let me know. I can get it sent to you at my cost.

hey im interested?

TannerJP

Trying to blow stuff up.
Dec 4, 2008
Houston, Tx
It's called Auto Trak II. It's a synthetic, light weight gear/trans oil with a friction modifier. It was specified for use in GM t-cases that engage with clutches? or something of the like. Mostly for the 1/2 ton stabilitrak trucks i think.
It happens to solve a lubricity issue that our t-cases have with non-synthetic fluids from what i understand.

May 21, 2008
Stephenville Tx
LB7:

Engine - 15w40 Schaeffers
Transmission - Full synthetic Schaeffers
Transfer Case - 5w30 synthetic Schaeffers
Rearend - Can't remember weight but also Schaeffers

I swear by that stuff since the fluid in everything except the engine still looks brand new.

LLY:

Engine - 15w40 Rotella with 1 bottle of GM EOS
Transmission - Schaeffers
Transfer Case - Standard 5w30
Rearend - 75/90 Valvoline

Poor dually doesn't get as much special treatment.

Schaeffers front to back in my truck also.Seen things with this oil that you would be amazed.

Dirtbikindad393

Nov 2, 2008
Moorpark, CA
Amsoil is my product of choice

Engine;
Amsoil AME 15w-40/EA052 Filter

Diffs;
Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-90 in front & back

T-Case;
Amsoil 5w-30 Synthetic Engine oil 2 qts and monitor levels

Trans;
Amsoil Torque Drive/Wix 57701 spin on

P/S;

Amsoil ATF

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
any body ever ran synthetic oil, changed back to regular oil

I ran my truck with synthetic ftom day one but the dealer changed it over to dino after 3 flushes because of coolant in the crankcase. I will be changing back to Citgo synthetic shortly as I think it is the best oil out there bar none.

NelsonDiesel

Formerly StewieTuned
May 8, 2008
Buena Park, CA
www.NelsonDiesel.com
I ran my truck with synthetic ftom day one but the dealer changed it over to dino after 3 flushes because of coolant in the crankcase. I will be changing back to Citgo synthetic shortly as I think it is the best oil out there bar none.

why do you feel it's the best oil, mike? Just curious. I have actually never heard of Citgo Synthetic. I never heard of schaefers either until Tommy told me about it.....

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
I like amsoil my internal parts looked great after my tear down for haveing 56k hard miles one it. im running ams in my new motor with lucas and it runs very smooth. I also ran rotelas new synthetic and my truck seemed to rev quicker

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
I ran delo for a long time, switched to mobile 1 syn. and the dip stick blew (twice), switched back and no problems. Recently switched to amsoil and everything is good, maybe even quitened the motor a little.

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
the dipstick backed out a little and sprayed a little oil in the motor compartment, Actually Mike had pointed it out in some pics I posted of my cat delete pipe that he saw oil spray, popped the hood and found the dipstick backed out a little, did it one other time...............this was around 30K miles ago