Starter problem? Maybe help…

Jimongee

Feb 18, 2023
i have an 07 Chevy duramax. 170 k mile. Original owner. very nice clean truck. Pretty much trouble free all its life. I parked it a couple days ago in my driveway. The overnight temp was 28° here in Nashville. When I went out to start it starter would engage make a clicking attempt to turn the engine but that’s it. Pretty much just like it had a discharge battery. So I disconnected the batteries and checked them each individually and they were both at 12 9 V. I also check the starter relay and it wasn’t that. So before I start thinking about replacing the starter what should I do? I was a technician for 33 years but that was about 20 years ago but I still work on all my own stuff so appreciate your help thank you. jim

Ron Nielson

Oct 11, 2009
Berryton, KS
Low temps decrease the ability of the battery to crank the engine, and the engine becomes much more difficult to turn over. Jason is correct, load test both batteries or put them on a charger to bring the charge up to full full.

Jimongee

Feb 18, 2023
Ok thanks. One of the batteries is 2 months old. And before I posted my question I disconnected the batteries and charged them. Then I checked them individually with my DVOM and got 13v each. Should I still load test? And I had a person attempt to start while I was watching the crankshaft balance just to make sure the engine was not locked or? Well when the starter is engaged the sound is pretty much like a low bakery with out the bendix chatter and the engine moves about 1 inch in rotation. Then nothing. Unbelievably I also found a P0761. This DTC in my opinion may very well just be a phantom since I’ve never ever had anything wrong with this pristine Allison…And so I am pretty certain that Code has nothing to do at all with the starter thing. Thank you for your help I really appreciate it. Jim

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Take the batteries out and bring them to an auto parts store and have them test them. Batteries are normally replaced in pairs. So if one was old and the other new then the new one can be brought down to the older batteries condition quite quickly

If the batteries test good then we can check other things such as cables, connections, etc

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Smack the starter with a hammer while someone else turns the key.. Also check the small purple wire on the stater for power when turning key. If power at at purple wire, it's starter. If not, check relay in fuse box. Since you hear clicking, tells me the relay is good and ECM is telling it to crank. So leaves sticky stater, or corroded battery terminals...

Reactions: 2004LB7

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Load test the batteries and if you have batteries with 4 post make sure they test the ones your truck uses. Not only did I have this exact issue, but I had 4 post batteries. The shop didn't test the ones my truck uses, so they would test good but not start my truck.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Sometimes it takes two people, but I like to measure voltage drop between battery positive and starter while cranking to eliminate possible wire or connection issue

Reactions: Dozerboy