Scan tool?

cat_dr.

Feb 20, 2013
Jackson,Al
So I'm thinking hard about buying a snap on solus scan tool to use in my shop at home and was curious if it would do the same stuff as the yech 2 will?

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
It will read anything the tech 2 will but the tech 2 can do programing which you probably won't be worried about sincell you have to get the programing from gm .We have the Solus and live it we used it for other model trucks and it has provided great info

cat_dr.

Feb 20, 2013
Jackson,Al
I already have the v2 anyway. Was just curious what all else it would do. I haven't got to use one much since I work on heavy equipment. But I work out of my shop at home on automotive stuff. And with the deal they got going on it right now it's hard for me t&a pass up.

prodiesel804

Feb 1, 2013
Ky
Really helpfull reading other things than just gm. I don't use my v2 scan tool that often but my modis will read all modules not just ECM and tcm, v2 may also just never tried.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Not to Hijack your thread Cat Dr. What cheap scanners will work on a 08' LMM? My dad had a issue with his truck getting a P087 code and limping. Turned out he got some bad fuel and plugged his filter. Luckily Oreiley's was open in Logan Ut. and cleared the code for him.

cat_dr.

Feb 20, 2013
Jackson,Al
I would think any of the cheaper ones they sell at parts stores would work. Most all of the read obd 2 as long as its up to date

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I would think any of the cheaper ones they sell at parts stores would work. Most all of the read obd 2 as long as its up to date

I just wanted to make sure it would clear codes for sure before I had him buy it. He's a cheap azz and I don't want to here about it if it doesn't work:D

Dave Shane

Sep 28, 2014
Tech indeed a great choice.

Keeping the GM Tech 2 for half a year, I like to say something about the device.

I have been interested in GM tech 2 scanner since there were some mention of it. I have heard the original one cost more than $2k, so I have my money well spent on a clone one. It did not take it as a risk because I had made some search and found that the clone one works just good enough.

My vehicle is 2002 Saab Compact executive car. Naturally, I got one English language Saab software version with 32 MB Card, Candi, tis2000 and other diagnostic cables.

What I appreciate is that is it not a PC-based device which means I do not need to connect it with computer, phone etc tablets. It allowed me to diagnose even drive on the way. After all, nobody will take computer anywhere, me included.

GM tech2 is an extremely easy-to-use device. Simply connect the device to the vehicle’s OBD diagnostic socket and then turn on the diagnostic switch to start diagnostic. Even a new technician can use it without a manual book.

I have hooked it up to test engine, ABS, transmission etc, stored DTCs, Freeze Frame, live data all the test result were displayed on the large, easy –to-read backlit screen. It helped to carry out accurate and stable diagnostic function. Anyway, GM TECH2 scan tool is truly worth a stab.

Here is where mini from:
goo.gl/IiPGML

cdbright

JUST RENT IT
Dec 16, 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
So the cheaper INNOVA will work to read and also clear the codes? $150 on Amazon

INNOVA 3120 Diagnostic Scan Tool/Code Reader for OBD1 and OBD2 Vehicles
by Innova
4.1 out of 5 stars 312 customer reviews | 185 answered questions
Price: $141.33 Free Shipping for Prime Members
In Stock.
Sold by Tool Deals and Fulfilled by Amazon. Gift-wrap available.
Patented 2.8-Inch all-in-one color display shows 20 pieces of vital information all at one time, including codes and their definitions in English, French, and Spanish
Read and erase Check Engine light codes with the click of a button
Diagnose and erase OBD2 / ABS codes on most popular, newer-model vehicles
Memory battery backup for off-car review and analysis
Retrieves OEM-enhanced and transmission diagnostic trouble codes on 1996 and newer OBD2 vehicles - foreign and domestic, as well as the most popular 1982 to 1995 OBD1 vehicles
Designed to retrieve OEM Enhanced and Transmission diagnostic codes in all OBD2 (1996 and newer) and some of the most popular OBD1 (1981 to 1995) vehicles
Automatically refreshes data every 30 seconds when connected to the vehicle, making it easy to verify repair completion
Show more
29 new from $141.33 1 used from $148.16

holyshitbatman

holyshitbatman
Mar 17, 2015
Albuquerque new mexico
If all u want it for is reading codes and resetting cel get a Bluetooth obd adapter and with the phone app u can do all that even monitor stuff but anyway Bluetooth deal is like 20 bucks then the app I found for free and there's a few to choose from .we hooked it up to my brother Honda worked cherry tried it on a few chevys and worked fine too.anyway that's cheapest route we stumbled on just playing with sfuff.

Fastorange

Jan 31, 2009
ohio
Not to sound completely crazy, but i feel the edge insite is a good tool itself.. You can log and read codes and it works on different makes and models.. You can't program with it or anything but still you can do a decent amount.. I have a uscan from the local parts store and it works.. But uou have to upgrade it to get it to do a lot of other things loke abs and all those..