Question: Salary/Hour for Heavy Duty Mechs

3521USMC

Jun 1, 2012
I am a Heavy Duty Mech and my wife and kids our Canadian, I am from the US and currentley work in Afghan as a shop foreman for 30plus mechs, I know that if I start working in Canada I will have to start out by being a regular mech on the floor again which I have no problem with, now just curious as to how much the average mech gets paid per hour or what average salaries are?

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
I would say depends on where you want to work. If you don't mind the oil fields in Alberta, want to work and agree to stay for more than 5 days, you may be able to just about name your price. They are having real problems keeping people......

3521USMC

Jun 1, 2012
Well thats the thing I need to know what is reasonable to ask for in canada, cause I have been working most of my time in the US and in Afghan.

kmax05

Jun 15, 2008
I know a few places in alberta that pay 38/hr regular time, time/half after 9.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Unless you are a ticketed mechanic in Canada, you won't be able to name your price.
Most places will not recognize other tickets except for the ones recieved through the Canadian Military.

$28/hr shouldn't be too hard to get though and you may be able to challenge a couple years of your apprenticeship or maybe even the whole ticket to get Journeyman certification and maybe even your inter-provincial red seal. The whole reason most shops want you to have this is alot of shops are mixed fleet so they need to be able to do commercial vehicle inspections. If you just get into an equipment shop though, they may not care.

When I quit wrenching in Canada in '06, I was above $30/hr as a red seal Heavy Equipment Tech. If I had stayed, I'd be around $40 working 8 days on and 6 days off rotation-in town!!

Where were you thinking of living? This will be the biggest factor as to how much you make and what it costs to live there. There is quite a range in pay difference from province to province.

Mr_diesel_doc

Nov 11, 2012
I'm a Red Sealed certified 310T in Ottawa and I'm at the $35/hr mark. I'd say that is around max for this area.