replacement vehicle

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but i didn't see anywhere else that was looked more appropriate so i am going to try here. Tom you can move it if you know of a better place :hug:

Ok, now onto my question, I apologize in advance for the length

As many of you know, the EPA, CARB and every lawyer is forcing VW to buy back or fix their VW TDIs. I won't get into the politics of this or try and debate the ethics here.
My problem is that our legislators have passed laws to deny registration to cars with outstanding emission related recalls. Now I know this particular recall does not have this issue but all future recalls will. I don't want to get the "fix on my 09 TDI. it runs great, good power (tuned) and great MPGs. right now the cat, dpf and the other emission items somehow disintegrated (maybe hit too many bumps) and it all came out the tailpipe.:woott:

I guess I have three options with this car.

One, get the "fix" and possibly end up with a worse performing car with lower HP, MPG and more noise like I see many people reporting

two, get the "fix" then de-fix it or re-tune it back (I will not take this option due to moral reasons, don't feel it is right to take their money for "cheating" then go cheat them back)

Three, the buyback option. I feel that if i don't get the "fix" then later down the road there will be some kind of recall that fill prevent me from renewing registration if i don't get it and I will have passed the deadline for the buy back. I will be stuck with a useless vehicle that I may only be able to sell for parts or something.

So that brings me to my reason for this thread. Go through with the buy back and get another vehicle for my daily driver. Supposedly I will get $15,400 for my car so that is what i am using as my budget. I would like to keep the replacement car under $15k as I want to leave some room for whatever DMV wants or taxes, repairs etc.

Also, to compound the situation, I am also looking for a new job so I don't know what kind of commute I will have so I may have to wait until I get a new job before I make a decision unless I start getting close to the sep 2018 deadline

The replacement vehicles I am currently considering:

2014 or 2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel. I am seeing very few in my area for sell. I test drove one at a dealer and it drove good. Seamed like the power was a little more linear than my TDI but roughly the same overall, maybe a bit less. handling was OK but not as good as my TDI. Layout of the "infotainment" center, radio, climate controls, etc left much to be desired. Reports of some emission problems. Brakes were horrible. Felt grabby and squishy at the same time, hard to use without jarring stops or overshooting the mark. Maybe that one had issues, IDK. So I am looking for another to test drive. I am finding that the price range is at the top of my budget at around $15k with 50K to 75K miles, doable but no wiggle room on price. This was my first choice as it should be a good all around car for whatever my new job ends up being, plus it is a diesel which I would like to have

2014 or 2015 Chevy Volt. handling was ok, braking was great, very predictable. Power was acceptable but nothing that would put a smile on your face. The radio, AC and other controls were also bad like the cruze. I do like the thought that if my commute is close I potentially won't have much of a fuel bill. and if I do have to go on a long trip it will still work for that to but just won't be as fun as the Cruze Diesel. Reliability is reported to be very good and there seems to be little complaints from current owners. I am finding lots of these available close by (my guess is that the original owners are upgrading to the 2017+ models for the improved battery range). Lots in the $14k price range with 30K to 50K miles.

2014+ Chevy Cruze Gas model (gasp!!!:eek:). I haven’t test driven one yet so not sure. I suspect layout will be the same as the diesel model. Prices range around the $12k to $14K mark for vehicles with 50K or less miles. EfiLive tunable so more fun here :woott:

2016 Chevy Spark EV (all electric). Test drove this one. Better power (400 ft. lbs.) then the volt. Good steering and handling. Excellent visibility. Fun to drive. Small, so can park almost anywhere. Simple layout of all of the controls, buttons, etc. The bad: only about 80 to 90 mile range per 7 hour charge (range anxiety). This means that if I got a job that required longer driving then that I would likely have to give up the vehicle for another, possibly losing money in the sell. $10k to $13k price range with less than 30K miles. So, well within my budget. Cheap to own

2016 Chevy Spark Gas Model. I haven’t test drove this one yet. Many of the pros of the electric version such as good visibility, small, etc. seems to get decent MPG at 30/38 EPA. Priced around 10K with less than 30k miles. Looks like the engine is a little hamster wheel at only 98HP/94ftlbs. I think this is also tunable with EfiLive so maybe that little engine can get a performance boost

So there you have it. As you can see I am a Chevy guy. I would prefer a standard transmission (for those that come with the option) but because I am likely having to share it with other family I will most likely have to get an automatic.

So, what are your thoughts on the above vehicles and if I missed another good replacement candidate what would that be?

Thanks in advance for bearing with me and any helpful information you give

Last edited:

Blackmax123

Aug 2, 2014
central Pennsylvania
I believe you'll have to put all the emissions crap back on it in order to have the update preformed or to sell it back. I sold my 09 back and found a 14 cruze diesel. Paid 14,500 for mine with 10k miles on it. I will say I like it a lot more than the jetta, but the jetta was a great car.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I've read a ton on the tdi forums and other sites, it seems that there is no requirement for a functioning emissions system for the buy back. Running under its own power and able to drive to the dealership seems to be the only requirement.

I've ever read some stories of people getting towed a block from the dealer and driving in from there. Car has alternator issues, overheats, or something else so they are figuring out ways to drive it into the lot. Some are even stripping doors, hood, lights, radio, etc to sell. Kind of walking a fine line if you ask me

The only thing I plan on doing is removing my LED bulbs, HID and putting the stock back in

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Black, how do your brakes compare to the Jetta? Suspension, steering and other aspects?

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Uh... if you like the Jetta so much why not just sell it back and buy another Jetta. Maybe one that's older and doesn't have the recalls

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I thought of that too. I like the HP i have with mine and the interior too. The 06 BRM has the same insides and outside stiling so it would be a good replacement but... It also has the dreaded cam issue and less HP. I can probably deal with the cam though so i probably should have put it on my list

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Yeah, Ive asked about a "buying a car" section, but we're good. :hug:

I bought my '14 Cruze Diesel and honestly, I love this little car. Its fun, its diesel. I plan on it "losing weight" later this year. They are built decently for a "disposable" car, the materials/paint are good, and they are decently quiet inside and smooth. I am adding a lumbar support to my drivers seat in the near future b/c I dont conform to the seat the best. But the nice thing is, there are options like that to fix issues that arise.

If you go gasser Cruze, the 1.4T seems to have some issues. The 1.8 seems to be a pretty good car. Im actually looking for one for my son right now.

Hambone

Always learning
Jan 24, 2016
Florida
What about an 06 Jetta?
I know it's a downgrade but I don't believe they were recalled because they fell under a different EPA standard?
I do know they had flywheel problems due to poor materials though :(

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
BTW, do a search for a thread about the Volt that Pat bought for his family. He had some good info there.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
BTW, do a search for a thread about the Volt that Pat bought for his family. He had some good info there.

Reading now. Some good info there.

Maybe I should have made it a poll on what vehicle i should go with too. Hmm is it possible for a generous mod to convert this thread?

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
I wouldn't ever let another person choose what car I drive for me. Do some more research. And drive them all if you haven't already. If you have, drive them again till you can make the decision. No one is gonna be able to choose which car feels best for you

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I totally get that. I was just hoping that if i liked a vehicle and others did to then i would likely feel better about the purchase. You know, some kind of validation or reassurance that I got a good vehicle

As to the looks, layout of the interior, and other subjective items, you are right, only I can make that choice. As for reliability, or other things that may only be known once you have had one for a while, that is more what I was hoping to hear about. Test drives wont tell me real world MPG, how it performs in the weather or cold, etc