Rear pinion yoke issues. 3rd failure. What to try next.

joshgabel

Oct 24, 2014
Liberty hill tx
So i went to replace my u-joints after having trans built due to vibration.
Noticed that the joint slopped from side to side.
One side of the yoke (bearing cup keeper tab)was ground away 50%.

Replaced yoke, u-joints and strap kit with OEM parts from stealership. All was well.

4k miles later same issue.

took to a drive line shop fearing i did something wrong. Same OEM parts replaced as before and drive shaft ballenced at my request just in case.

3k miles later (today). Bad vibrations are back again.

Pulled driveshaft and same conditions. Cross shaft has .25" play between bearing cups because one of the keeper ears is eaten away about 50%.

Dont know what to try next.

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
Could be something with the slip yoke or transfer case output shaft as well. Loose up there can lead to looser at the pinion

What's your driveshaft angle look like? If you've messed with the height at all or your springs are worn a wonky pinion angle would cause vibrations and premature failure. Bad angle is a usual suspect and easy to check.

Last edited:

MadMax17

Mar 26, 2015
maricopa, az
Could be something with the slip yoke or transfer case output shaft as well. Loose up there can lead to looser at the pinion

What's your driveshaft angle look like? If you've messed with the height at all or your springs are worn a wonky pinion angle would cause vibrations and premature failure. Bad angle is a usual suspect and easy to check.

X2, Find a good, competent driveline shop and have them run a driveline analysis on your truck. This can be done yourself easily as well but you need access to a digital inclinometer. You can make a plum bob with a magnet, string and nut and use a tape measure for the rest of it. This is the most likely cause if you are wearing out the yoke itself and the drive shaft has been balanced already.