Pump Rub

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
So, that's an 8 year necro-post, but what the heck, I'll join the fun!

Coincidentally about 8 years ago, I had a pump rub pinhole, and slapped some RTV on. Eventually got the pump rub kit, but i never replaced the case half. So that RTV is holding back the leak almost a decade later.

Now I wonder if I should've skimmed the thread, this could be totally off topic. Eh, not like anyone will care after 8 years, I bet.

Edit: oh dang, I was posting how I smeared RTV on 5 posts up! So yeah, follow up: it still doesn't leak

Sent from my Cat S60 using Tapatalk

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
I'll add to this. JB weld for me. Lasted 3 years until the pump started rubbing another hole in a different spot. Then I had it fixed with a newer half.

Budneeds2beers

Aka Mike Honcho....
Aug 25, 2016
Cali
It is weld able. Ive done my tahoe and my dads 263. Turn the gas up high and it can be done. To grind it clean use a course cutter and go slow. It really isnt hard welds just like aluminum. I would say wile you have it out replace the “wear” parts and clean the pickup tube strainer.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
If you have a hole in the housing, you have nasty gouges on the inside. Usually The snap ring groove is wasted. You need a new housing.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
It is weld able. Ive done my tahoe and my dads 263. Turn the gas up high and it can be done. To grind it clean use a course cutter and go slow. It really isnt hard welds just like aluminum. I would say wile you have it out replace the “wear” parts and clean the pickup tube strainer.

My cajones aint big enough to dare even THINK of welding on magnesium. Permatex makes some out of this world strong aluminum epoxy stick, but it said in bold print not to use with any magnesium alloy. I also have duraweld torch filler rods, but the test it gave to see if it had enough aluminum in it to stick and mix in failed. I lucked out and picked up my 261 case out of a wrecked 03 that had almost 300k miles for $650. I got there and the date stamp on it was from 06 so it wasn't the origanal case for the truck. Got it home, pulled it apart, and it looked new inside.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Gonna bring this back to life.
The ‘03 I just bought was good when I inspected it before I bought it. Checked thoroughly for a pump rub hole and it was good.
1500km later I have it on the hoist to install a muffler and notice the transfer case is wet and a tiny pinhole. FML.
So I’m gonna seal it and hope for the best but I see two options for kits. The original old steel plate and this new pump upgrade thing. Which is the better option and why?

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I've always used the new pump plate from Merchant, the contact area is much larger where it rests against the tail housing

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
either one does the exact same job and last just as long. pick the cheaper option and keep on rolling!

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Replace the case as the internal part where the pump sits is gouged and the snap ring groove is worn out and loose along with the snap ring itself. Cost will be under 250.00 ( labor excluded ). Also look a little further at the plastic fork inserts. They might be bad.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Replace the case as the internal part where the pump sits is gouged and the snap ring groove is worn out and loose along with the snap ring itself. Cost will be under 250.00 ( labor excluded ). Also look a little further at the plastic fork inserts. They might be bad.
totally forgot about that. definitely check it. There is an updated hub/fork/wear pads for the 4low mode fork if its bad. its going to be the small fork near the front of the case just before the planetaries. the 2/4wd mode fork doesnt usually wear out near as fast.

ignore the groove in the tone ring you will find, its common and a non issue

Animals1234

Jun 8, 2017
Chevy1925,

Do you have a link to the updated hub/fork/wear pads? I may need them for when I do my transfer case.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Merchant Automotive was the last place i got the parts from. if someone knows elsewhere, they are welcome to post up.

Reactions: Animals1234

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I’ll give it a good inspection and see what all is dicked and order appropriately. Case half is $325 when they have in stock at the one discount parts place. $700 for a merchant kit so we will see what all it needs first.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I’ll give it a good inspection and see what all is dicked and order appropriately. Case half is $325 when they have in stock at the one discount parts place. $700 for a merchant kit so we will see what all it needs first.
i want to say i was 600 bucks into my case without a rear cover. needed a bearing, vent tube, updated the 4 low, new 2/4wd fork, seals, and the steel kennedy pump rub plate.

i think re-man cases are like 1600 bucks now. maybe more.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I’ve only got 120k miles on it give or take so hoping I don’t need all that shit. Will find out when I get it apart.
$1600 CDN for a rebuilt with no core up here.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Mileage is not the culprit. If it ran low on fluid or if the clip fell off is where the big problems start.

Last edited: