LLY: Prestone coolant flush

Henry95

Apr 4, 2015
Does it work? It says to drain everything and put it in top up with water. Doesn't say if it's okay to use in aluminum systems. Does it work. Plan was to do that then pull rad and intercooler and clean out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ALLY Fox

Old Man Truck
Dec 14, 2010
Oregon 7S5
If your truck still has DEX OAT coolant and has been changed fairly regularly, there shouldn't be any need to flush it. I wouldn't put anything in it to flush the system, you're just asking for problems. If you're having cooling system issues, it's probably time to replace the radiator.

Henry95

Apr 4, 2015
No problems. Just thought because I am pulling rad and intercooler that it you be a good time to do that if it worked. It has been a farm truck all its life and it has 335 thousand km on it. Sometimes it gets a little warm so I am going to clean everything out real good.

Henry95

Apr 4, 2015
Yup and knowing how well my grandfather washes trucks it's going to be bad. I have had it for the last 100thousand thou.

Henry95

Apr 4, 2015
90 c. Or around 194f with ac on and it 68f outside. That what it normally was at but it if it goes to 77f outside with ac on and driving nice. It likes to go around 213. Even if it doesn't help much I will still feel better that it's done.

ALLY Fox

Old Man Truck
Dec 14, 2010
Oregon 7S5
Are you reading temp with the dash gauge? It is notoriously inaccurate, best to read it with something that scans the OBD port. My gauge shows about ~200-205 but scan says 186F.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
That's definitely warm. I'd say the stack is packed. Fan works ok?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Henry95

Apr 4, 2015
That's definitely warm. I'd say the stack is packed. Fan works ok?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Fan kicks in at around 95 Celsius. When I start working again I am going to do t stats and fan clutch.

RHallenbeck

Aug 21, 2014
Beaumont, Texas
Any time you introduce any acid based cleaner into the system you are asking for trouble in my opinion.. The Aluminum components are already prone for electrolysis erosion.. Typically the Al radiators will still flow well on a flow test. What they do is build a "Scale" like coating inside the tubes which allow full coolant flow but due to the scale coating acting as insulator it will not dissipate the heat from the coolant. Best bet is pull the stack and send it out to a Radiator shop and have the radiator Rodded, which will scrape the walls of the tubes clean, and then the air side cleaned thoroughly and followed up with an acid etch(like they do A/C coils)..

Rick

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Not sure about a dmaxs but by the time you rod a rad you might as well buy a new one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk