possibly moving around houston from maryland

70ssclone

josh
Oct 31, 2013
Harco,MD
hi guys , ive grew up and lived in rural md my whole life well it looks like my family is moving around Houston ( south west ) my dads company is offering him a job at a new power plant down there . just curious about the area from anyone that has any input as far as where to live and where to stay away from? i myself am thinking of moving also since they are my only family here in md. for work i do body and paint at a ford dealer and also have fabrication/mechanical skills ( not sure what works like down there? )

BADLUK007

Sep 23, 2015
There are nice parts of town and there are ghettos. Seems like usually, they're only a few blocks apart. If I was you, I'd look into apartment locators. I think they can even find rent houses for you as well.

I had this whole thing typed up but, I deleted it because there is just too many variables that go along with everything.

Where's your work going to be, got kids?, you want to live in a rural part of town again, budget etc etc etc.

I can tell you this, regardless of what side you live on. that In Houston, depending on where your work is and where you live can mean the difference between a 10-30 minute drive to work or and hour and a half. I know your saying duh but, I just mean what roads get clogged up and at what time they get clogged up lol. You can make it across town in about 30 minutes, wake-up 10 or 15 minutes late you're screwed. Now it takes an hour or more. God forbid someone on the other side of the median have a fender bender, now everyone rubber necks and you're parked on the freeway.

I'd think about going month to month or 3 month lease on an apartment and figure out where it is I want to be before settling in.

If you're looking for a realtor, I'm currently working with one to sell my house. I can provide you with her information. She helped me find my current house about 5 years ago. Now, I need more rooooom.

70ssclone

josh
Oct 31, 2013
Harco,MD
No kids , yes I like somewhat rural areas, not sure about work until I start hunting . I'd definatley rent a house until I buy because I have to much stuff for an apartment .

I'm from a town in Harford county called havre de grace onebaddmaxx

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
There are nice parts of town and there are ghettos. Seems like usually, they're only a few blocks apart. If I was you, I'd look into apartment locators. I think they can even find rent houses for you as well.

I had this whole thing typed up but, I deleted it because there is just too many variables that go along with everything.

Where's your work going to be, got kids?, you want to live in a rural part of town again, budget etc etc etc.

I can tell you this, regardless of what side you live on. that In Houston, depending on where your work is and where you live can mean the difference between a 10-30 minute drive to work or and hour and a half. I know your saying duh but, I just mean what roads get clogged up and at what time they get clogged up lol. You can make it across town in about 30 minutes, wake-up 10 or 15 minutes late you're screwed. Now it takes an hour or more. God forbid someone on the other side of the median have a fender bender, now everyone rubber necks and you're parked on the freeway.

I'd think about going month to month or 3 month lease on an apartment and figure out where it is I want to be before settling in.

If you're looking for a realtor, I'm currently working with one to sell my house. I can provide you with her information. She helped me find my current house about 5 years ago. Now, I need more rooooom.

Houston traffic is the worst. 30 minutes to make it 3-4 miles. I'd be walking if I lived there, I wouldn't keep my license a week

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
^Whatever traffic depends on your work schedule and where you live. Just like all big cities.

You can't think of Houston as an area. You gotta think of it as like 15 small cities put together. FYI renting is very expensive you what you get here, so don't do it any longer than you have to. The best thing to do is to find your jobs and then move somewhere close I know that it's hard to do but that's the best thing I like the Cypress area myself but that's probably on the far side of town of where your dad will be working. It is however far away from where the hurricane make land fall. There isn't much rual around Houston unless you go to one of the small cities right outside and you never know when they'll become City Like.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

matt78

Finally boosted launches
Sep 10, 2012
texas
^Whatever traffic depends on your work schedule and where you live. Just like all big cities.

You can't think of Houston as an area. You gotta think of it as like 15 small cities put together. FYI renting is very expensive you what you get here, so don't do it any longer than you have to. The best thing to do is to find your jobs and then move somewhere close I know that it's hard to do but that's the best thing I like the Cypress area myself but that's probably on the far side of town of where your dad will be working. It is however far away from where the hurricane make land fall. There isn't much rual around Houston unless you go to one of the small cities right outside and you never know when they'll become City Like.

Exactly,you live in what you think is rural and then 5 years later you have stripmalls and subdivisions going up. That's why I just got some land even further out than where we live now,its growing all over parts of texas

70ssclone

josh
Oct 31, 2013
Harco,MD
Thanks for all the comments ! If my dad does make the move he will be working in warton / Wharton ? It's south west of Houston right on the Colorado river . I'm hoping to get a job with that company or possibly a contractor of theirs. I'm not a city fan whatsoever but I understand that's where I will have to drive to make a living .

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Oh Warton shit that's country. Can't even hardly call that city when compared to Houston. Since you mentioned by the river make sure wherever yall buy at that it is higher. So y'all are prepared for floods because it floods down here a lot. This year has reminded people of that since we have been in a drought the last several years.

70ssclone

josh
Oct 31, 2013
Harco,MD
Thanks dozer , yea I originally said houston because it's the closest city but would be thrilled to not have to go there for work . I should be able to find some sort of industry job down there and still live kinda in the boonies with civilization around the corner . Kinda excited to be honest never met anyone that was like my self that hated texas but plenty of people hate my state ( mostly the govt , gun laws , and the fact that minorities get picked over a regular white guy for good jobs here )

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I can't speak for that area specifically, but if you can't find a job in the Houston area you're doing something wrong.