Oil leaking out of the tail pipe

Dm23

Mar 8, 2019
Socal
What’s going on fellas. I just found oil leaking out of the tail pipe. Do you think this is the turbo going out? Or some seal of gasket going out? Truck runs fine turbo sounds good. But now I have this new issue. Any help would be great.

Attachments

• IMG_7238.jpeg
    IMG_7238.jpeg
    306.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Dm23

Mar 8, 2019
Socal
The back of the turbo seems to be fine same with the down pipe. There’s no oil. But there is oil out the tail pipe which is weird. Still going to pull the turbo out and see what happens

Dm23

Mar 8, 2019
Socal
Is it just turned off or is it gone?
I have it. It’s the one that would be in the engine bay correct ? If so, it’s not attached and zip tied out of the way. I do have a driver side fuel rail leak at the sensor and cross over line. But I don’t think that would cause anything with the exhaust. Could it be fuel?

Last edited:

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
The 9th one is a weird two piece injector with half being up top in the engine bay and has the harness connector. Then a metal tube runs down the side of the exhaust down pipe and to a nozzle. Since this is all post turbo, I was thinking of anything else that could supply an oil like liquid to the exhaust. If it's still plumbed in then a leaking injector could do as you show. As long as there is no DPF/SCR in the way

Reactions: Bdsankey

Dm23

Mar 8, 2019
Socal
The 9th one is a weird two piece injector with half being up top in the engine bay and has the harness connector. Then a metal tube runs down the side of the exhaust down pipe and to a nozzle. Since this is all post turbo, I was thinking of anything else that could supply an oil like liquid to the exhaust. If it's still plumbed in then a leaking injector could do as you show. As long as there is no DPF/SCR in the way
I should’ve have clarified, there is no more DPF/SCR, urea fluid etc. I wonder if it’s fuel leaking and it’s mixing with the soot to make seem like it’s oil. Injector balance rates not to long ago were within range. But if it was fuel would you see it wet in the up pipes manifolds and down pipe? I’m thinking that someone at the diesel mechanic place I took it to, maybe playing a dirty trick on me by putting oil in the exhaust to make it look like something is wrong.

Last edited:

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I should’ve have clarified, there is no more DPF/SCR, urea fluid etc. I wonder if it’s fuel leaking and it’s mixing with the soot to make seem like it’s oil. Injector balance rates not to long ago were within range. But if it was fuel would you see it wet in the up pipes manifolds and down pipe? I’m thinking that someone at the diesel mechanic place I took it to, maybe playing a dirty trick on me by putting oil in the exhaust to make it look like something is wrong.
Leaking injectors don't normally make it out the exhaust unless you are seeing white smoke. And as you mentioned, it would likely be in the up pipes, etc. of course you have to take into account the heat that could dry it out.

If you don't have any other issues I'd chalk it up as a fluke, or a trick, and just drive it

Reactions: Dm23

Dm23

Mar 8, 2019
Socal
I’ll throw the turbo back in, and I’ll take the back half of the exhaust off and clean it out. And go from there.