New Engine build strange sound

715Hunter

Jul 28, 2022
Missouri
Guys, I just finished putting my truck back together to break in the new rings. It is making an odd sound that I can't figure out.
It's really obvious on start-up and shut-down, where the engine bounces back a bit through compression cycles. I know for certain that it's not from the flex plate-to-crank, flex plate-to-converter, harmonic balancer, or fuel pump bolt/nuts being loose. Starter is disengaging properly as far as I can tell. It was a assembled to a short block by an excellent shop.
Any thing else I'm just not thinking of? Video in link.
The sound is distinctly louder by the rear driver's side of the engine.
Source: https://youtube.com/shorts/F7jSEHLL5M8?feature=shared

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
All I hear is a funny pop at the end. Is that what you are referring to?

What did you set the valve lash to?

715Hunter

Jul 28, 2022
Missouri
Yes, that's it. I can hear it throughout the video, but I was worried it wouldn't be obvious for others. I know what I'm listening for. Ah well, time to start digging I guess.
I set valve lash to .012".

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
I figured it out, and it's just as stupid as I expected. Grabbed the wrong bolts for the torque converter apparently, as they bottomed out before tightening. 🤦

It's been happening to other lately too, so don't feel alone...I had a customer hail mary a 250k mile motor back into his truck last week and decided to toss the clearly stamped converter bolts in the trash before re-assembly. That was a frantic phone call 5 minutes after he got it running.

• Wow
Reactions: 715Hunter

715Hunter

Jul 28, 2022
Missouri
It's been happening to other lately too, so don't feel alone...I had a customer hail mary a 250k mile motor back into his truck last week and decided to toss the clearly stamped converter bolts in the trash before re-assembly. That was a frantic phone call 5 minutes after he got it running.
It really sounded like the flex plate rattling, but I knew I'd torqued them., 🤣

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I figured it out, and it's just as stupid as I expected. Grabbed the wrong bolts for the torque converter apparently, as they bottomed out before tightening. 🤦
Assuming this is a triple disc converter, you probably need to send it in to make sure the converter wasn't damaged by using the wrong bolts.

Reactions: Bdsankey