LMM: Need some help

Novak

SQUIRREL TRYN TO GET A NUT
Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
They used to have heated washer fluid. GM recalled them and removed it because of fire hazard. The resistor wasn't big enough and would catch on fire.

Side note: they just recalled the passenger air bag about a month ago on 08's

2008lmmchopper

May 28, 2017
Side note: they just recalled the passenger air bag about a month ago on 08's
The letter I got was the driver airbag said it would gain pressure and when or if it gets set off could send metal fragments into the drivers face causing a horrible death. Paraphrasing a bit lol but that's basically what mine said. Luckily I guess you could say my air bag got replaced last summer because of a idiot driver.

2008 gmc sierra 2500 lmm

Novak

SQUIRREL TRYN TO GET A NUT
Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
The letter I got was the driver airbag said it would gain pressure and when or if it gets set off could send metal fragments into the drivers face causing a horrible death. Paraphrasing a bit lol but that's basically what mine said. Luckily I guess you could say my air bag got replaced last summer because of a idiot driver.

2008 gmc sierra 2500 lmm

I removed mine because my horn didn't work and the connections were broke. Too many mantrums thrown while driving.
Makes me feel better now that I know I handled death and repaired my truck all Willy nilly

2008lmmchopper

May 28, 2017
I removed mine because my horn didn't work and the connections were broke. Too many mantrums thrown while driving.
Makes me feel better now that I know I handled death and repaired my truck all Willy nilly
Hahaha no kidding. Ya I got the letter recently. Which was shitty because like I said.last summer I had it deploy.in my face. Glad mine wasn't one of the bad ones.

2008 gmc sierra 2500 lmm

2008lmmchopper

May 28, 2017
Had a dodge at one point and got the front end recall letter and it basically said a drag link or tierod will sheer off and you would have no steering.

2008 gmc sierra 2500 lmm

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
So may be dumb but should I change the filters and fluid do a good cleaning soon since the trans is fresh built? Kind of.like a break in period fluid filter change?

2008 gmc sierra 2500 lmm

its never all going to come out. the material will pack its self inbetween the fins very well, specially when everything is hot and the metal expands. it wouldnt hurt to pull the internal filter, split it and see how much junk is in there. until you change the radiator, you will always be getting stuff in that filter but thats why its there. you just dont want it plugging up

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
its never all going to come out. the material will pack its self inbetween the fins very well, specially when everything is hot and the metal expands. it wouldnt hurt to pull the internal filter, split it and see how much junk is in there. until you change the radiator, you will always be getting stuff in that filter but thats why its there. you just dont want it plugging up

FWIW, my LLY trans was beat to death but didn't leave me sit and I never had much of anything in the internal filter, just always some excess clutch material where I did burnouts to 4th like non stop.

LMM had a complete c1 failure and it never had hardly any clutch material but there's always been some metal fragment in the center of the internal filter, builder flushed the shit out of it but it'll never all come out.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
its very hard to differentiate what a plugged filter and good filter look like if you have not looked at alot of them. Mike taught me to look at the inlet of the filter and to see if the media is pressed tightly against the ribs inside. its a very good indication the filter is plugged. pulling the media apart doesnt really show this. it will show the bigger chunks and pieces from delaminated clutches, clutch shedding, metal peices and so on.

if you look at the bottom of the trans pan in a stock higher HP truck, it will look like fine black sand. that is what plugs shit up in the filter. once that happens, things start getting ate up and bigger pieces start plugging the cooler/s. a stock trans has an easier time at coming apart before the filter is plugged though.

i burnt up my C2s and C3s on my trans before this current one because my ML precision was dieing. it plugged up my filter and started killing my clutches. You would have never known it as the trans never limped and nothing was concerning me about how it drove. only reason i went in to Mike was to change converters for something that suited me much better. after seeing the filter and knowing the mods done to it from the time before, Mike wanted a peak inside and im glad we did. that was over 2 years ago and i now change that internal every time i change the external. then start inspecting it.

2008lmmchopper

May 28, 2017
Well when I do my fuel filters and oil next I'll be changing my trams fluid amd.filters as well and inspect the internal filter real good. Until then I'll blow out the radiator and cooler real good. Might end up buying a new cooler. I had a lot of power running through it for a long time before the trans got built I'm sure it's caked. My trans guy told me this morning that he took more then adequate time cleaning out the lines and cooler.

2008 gmc sierra 2500 lmm

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Well when I do my fuel filters and oil next I'll be changing my trams fluid amd.filters as well and inspect the internal filter real good. Until then I'll blow out the radiator and cooler real good. Might end up buying a new cooler. I had a lot of power running through it for a long time before the trans got built I'm sure it's caked. My trans guy told me this morning that he took more then adequate time cleaning out the lines and cooler.

2008 gmc sierra 2500 lmm

a normal flush job or flush machine will not get the crap out. you have to have a setup like evan, josh and mike use. it heats the fluid to a high temp, pressuizes the system as it is forced through then every so often, a hard back pressure/reverse flow is kicked for a second to help knock things loose and flush out. it is a very big difference over a normal flush.

Arciniega

Feb 20, 2018
McAllen, TX
I have an 08 lmm silverado with the same set up on the buttons, I know it has been a while since the post but I'm new to the sight and was reading about transmission coolers since I'm having an issue. Well that button on my Silverado controls the defrost on my left and right mirrors. Just thought I'd share that.