L5p lifter failure

Hoser

Jun 19, 2016
Farmington, MN
I just took my 2020 L5p in to the dealership for what sounds like this same problem. This has been the worst Duramax of all the models I have owned as far as reliability. It's already had a trans replaced at 44k miles and now sounds like it needs a motor at 49k miles. I also have a buddy who had the same issue with his 2020 and he just told me his trans is acting up. This is supposed to have been the best Duramax. For the guys that like to watch Gale Banks videos and take in the hype he spews out about them I say he is wrong. My last Duramax was deleted at 500 miles and I sold it with 250k miles. Not one issue.
How much weight are you pulling? What’s your driving style? I beat the tar out of my truck and hold it wide open with 20,000+ pound loads behind me up mountain passes. Mine has never missed a beat and the transmission has been flawless.

600+duramax

Jan 18, 2007
How much weight are you pulling? What’s your driving style? I beat the tar out of my truck and hold it wide open with 20,000+ pound loads behind me up mountain passes. Mine has never missed a beat and the transmission has been flawless.
The sad part is that this is a personal truck that doesn't tow often. I only tow my boat occasionally. You have been lucky or got a good one. I'm sure they have more trucks running than failing but I personally have never had so many issues with a Duramax. My buddy included.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Still doesn't seem like a wide spread problem. So I still have faith in the Duramax. Definitely take it iver a Ram right now. Ford seems to be the only one without major mechanical issues right now. You just have to worry about fuel leaks that burn the trucks to the ground

Reactions: Lennydmaxguy

Hoser

Jun 19, 2016
Farmington, MN
The sad part is that this is a personal truck that doesn't tow often. I only tow my boat occasionally. You have been lucky or got a good one. I'm sure they have more trucks running than failing but I personally have never had so many issues with a Duramax. My buddy included.
I see a lot more problems on these trucks when guys use them like you. These trucks aren’t grocery getters, they are made for work. I see lots of guys running them hard and towing heavy every day and some are over 200k towing every day and their trucks have been problem free.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

You pick your poison these days. You could have got a ford and have the cp4 explode, intercooler tube blow out, injector valve seals leak, front cover leak, etc. or you could get a dodge and have the 68 which is junk or let’s say it has the aisin, then you still have issues with front timing cover that leaks, exhaust manifolds that shrink, interior that falls apart and so on.

At the end of the day, all these new truck you basically pick your flavor and deal with the crap they are built out of. Is it upsetting to spend the kind of money they cost and have issues? Yup. Just sucks

Reactions: Lennydmaxguy

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Sounds like you should have got a gas truck

Reactions: Hoser