Knocking ZF6 power train

Parker

Wrench turner
Sep 23, 2011
Claremore OK
Dad and I were moving cattle. I was pulling our 26 foot gooseneck loaded with cattle with my 01 2500HD 4X4 with the ZF6, and the transmission started to knock. I pulled over and checked it over fluids in the the transmission and transfer case were good. We took the other truck unloaded cattle and went after my old reliable Z-71 and the flatbed trailer. we came back with dads truck unhooked the trailer from max and loaded him on the flatbed then hooked dad's truck up to the stock trailer. It pulled onto the trailer with out a problem and was pulling the loaded trailer easy too. The noise goes away when the clutch pedal is pressed in and resumes when the pedal is released. The noise is in all gears and T-case ranges. I'm hung between the clutch or and input shaft a bearing is going down in the transmission, but it isn't squalling like a bearing. My Dad thinks clutch. I would like to think it isn't since it is only six months old and only has roughly 5,000 miles on it, also it doesn't sound like other failed clutches I've heard anybody has any suggestions? Either way the transmission is coming out. Does any one know what a rebuild kit runs for the ZF6 I know I need a synchronizer for granny? Thanks for the help

07keo02

Oct 5, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Stock clutch and dual mass flywheel? If so I wouldn't count on it making it to 5 miles let alone 5,000 if it is being worked at all. Not saying it couldn't be something else but they are known to be junk.

Parker

Wrench turner
Sep 23, 2011
Claremore OK
The noise seems to stay at the same volume at lower RPMS and higher RPMs. When I had the clutch replaced I got away from the dual mass junk and went with a single disc clutch setup. Thanks guys for the help I will be trying to tear it apart this weekend and see what happened.

Parker

Wrench turner
Sep 23, 2011
Claremore OK
Well the good news is the clutch is okay, the bad news is I get to tear into the tranny. I'm going to take it to work and use the steam cleaner to clean the transmission and transfer case. There is a transmission parts place in Tulsa Lester gear. I'm going to try to get an estimate on a full rebuild through them. While it's apart I'm going to install a pump rub kit and new rear case in the transfer case. I may try to find a rebuilt transmission for now and later rebuild this one. It will all depend on price. I messed with the 84 K20 and it's running well enough where I think Dad and I can use it to feed and get around when it get's nasty out. Thanks for the help.

Parker

Wrench turner
Sep 23, 2011
Claremore OK
Got the the transmission tore down and found the input shaft bearing is done for and I'm going to need a couple synchronizers. I'm now on the hunt for parts.