Question: How can I enhance my towing experience?

Max Attitude

11SIX
Mar 7, 2012
Caledonia, MI
Convert your bumper pull to a gooseneck!

Power down low is the the tuning and not hard to change

This….. I just had my tuner give me some more low end grunt. Love the way it drives now. They try to stay away from fueling too much on the bottom end so they don't smoke much. I also have towed 14k with my truck on tune 4 and EGT's are fine. It's the stock trans I still have to be easy on…. though I'm not.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
This….. I just had my tuner give me some more low end grunt. Love the way it drives now. They try to stay away from fueling too much on the bottom end so they don't smoke much. I also have towed 14k with my truck on tune 4 and EGT's are fine. It's the stock trans I still have to be easy on…. though I'm not.

Kleen is kool....but Im Pretty sure "they" stray away from fueling down low to keep rods straight and pistons in tact...more than anything else

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
See, that is why I like what Idaho Rob is doing with their LML. He is leaving the DPF on the truck, so he can fuel hard down low (off boost) to get off the line and onto boost quickly, and not leave any smoke behind the truck. It will just regen more often if you hammer it off the line all the time, but with the rest of the tuning changes, it actually decreased regen frequency for normal mixed driving!

I can say this: if you want a good towing experience with minimal smoke, don't do my build! 72mm fixed geometry turbo, big cam, lowered compression, and 35" tires means I either black out an intersection (not cool) or take forever to get on boost. I ended up dialing the tune to leave a puff and some haze if I go WOT. Lets me choose somewhere between crystal clear and dog slow, or "stock Cummins" levels of smoke and ...less slow (but still laggy), based on how much skinny pedal I use.

Jason, I think limiting the fuel down low is more about smoke than rods, but you are right, big fueling at low RPM once the turbo comes up will give you a nice set of banana rods.

Last edited:

ALLY Fox

Old Man Truck
Dec 14, 2010
Oregon 7S5
I pull about ~11-12K 5th wheel without problems. Stock modded airbox, stock exhaust (stuff fell out of the CAT) and other mods on my sig. I have to pull 8% grades in 3rd but other than that there's plenty of power. Been doing it for 7 years now....

Highroller152

Apr 13, 2016
Northern Nevada
threads a year old boys ;). highroller is digging up old stuff

Sorry bout that. Was perusing the threads and not paying attention to the date. Didn't think I went back that far....

4326685-we-can-rebuild-this-thread-we-have-the-technology.jpg